Sign in to follow this  
Thad

Getting a tow vehicle?

I plan on getting a used vehicle in the next few months to start tournament fishing. For now I will be using my dad's boat, a 17' aluminum Crestliner with a 90 on it. Not much to pull but I want to consider the possibility of getting a bigger boat soon. I know for a fact that I will not buy anything other than a Toyota. My question is how big of a vehicle do I really need? I really prefer the 4-Runner. Would I have to get a v8 or would a v6 do? My dad has been pulling the boat with his 2001 v4 Tacoma for the past couple years. I really don't have much of an idea of what I would need. Will a 4-Runner do a good job with a bigger fiberglass boat?

Thanks,

Thad

A 4RUNNER SHOULD WORK FOR BOATS IN THE 17-18FT RANGE

LIKE THEY SAID ITS BETTER TO HAVE MORE AND NOT NEED IT, THAN TO NEED IT AND NOT HAVE IT.

I HAVE A 18FT RANGER THE GUY I BOUGHT IT FROM TOWED IT WITH A 89 TOYOTA V6 4WD HE SAID IT WAS FINE, BUT HE DOESN'T DRIVE LIKE ME, ALSO AT THE TIME I HAD A TAHOE 2WD TO TOW IT WHEN I BOUGHT IT, TRADED IT IN FOR A USED TITAN (5.7 TUNRA DIDN'T FIT THE PAYMENT PLAN, ALTHOUGH MY DAD HAS ONE AND IT TOWS GREAT) I HAD TO USE 4WD TWICE TO BRING IT OUT SO FAR IT WASN'T BECAUSE IT WAS HEAVY BUT FOR TRACTION AS THE RAMP HAD SEAWEED ALL OVER IT. BIGGER TOW VEHICLE MEANS MORE POWER TO GO UP HILL AND MORE STOPPING POWER AS WELL. A 4RUNNER IS A GOOD CANDIDATE UP TO AN EXTENT.

P.S. THE GAS THING IS AN ISSUE TOO, YOU SAVE MORE FOR ALL AROUND DRIVING, BUT YOU  USE A LOT MORE FOR TOWING

I'm trying to think, I thought 4 runners came with V6 mainly, and some 4 cyl, I didn't think 4 runners came with V8s.

But for a your purpose, a V6 can pull any in land fishing boats. Your normal fishing boat style you see the pros in. 1999_Triton_TR_21_Bass_Boat_Mercury_225hp_EFI_Motor.jpg But a 4 runner would be pushing it if you were looking for a off shore fishing boat, like what out TWRA have type style fl-keys-rental-boats-fishing-1.jpg, or as if you start looking at round about boats. But most inland fishing boats a 4 runner with a V6 should be able to handle it.

Also unless you do to real slippery boat ramps or live in the northern states, then 2 WD would be able to handle it. But if you live up north or go ro slippery boat ramps you could upgrade to a 4x4 version. But a V6 has enough torque and horsepower to get the job done. I have a V6 in my dodge dakota and it does pretty good with my 16ft old heavy fishing boat, so a newer lighter and especially a aluminum boat would be a breeze.

Well I have found two 4-Runners in my price range. One is a v8 and the other a v6. I don't know which one to go with. I know the v8 would obviously be better in all phases except the gas. I guess I just need to sit down and figure out exactly how much more gas would cost me on the average.

The older 4 runners came in 4 or 6 cyl.  Both were dogs HP wise, but would last forever.  I had 250K on my 1986 22re before it died.  Those were the cool 4 runners where the top came off and they were power nothing.  I think that the newer ones (95~now) came in either 6 or 8 cyl, but the top stays on. >;)

All vehicles have a tow rating so get on that Toyato site and find out.

You need to add everything up you tow, boat motor, batterys, trailer and even a four wheel in the box and humans.

I still keep it well below the recommdation.

Garnet

Well I have found two 4-Runners in my price range. One is a v8 and the other a v6. I don't know which one to go with. I know the v8 would obviously be better in all phases except the gas. I guess I just need to sit down and figure out exactly how much more gas would cost me on the average.

The V6 will be better on gas than the V8 when not towing the boat but will suck more gas than a V8 towing it.  

I'd get the 8. It will use more gas not towing than the 6 but will outlast the 6 by a long shot if you plan on dragging the boat around alot,unless it's a pretty small,lightweight boat.