Why you never shoot a gun you haven't checked.

Way2slow

• Super User

Bought a new Marlin 60SS the other day and got a surprise bonus.   I always clean and inspect the bore of any new rifle, plus I never shoot a gun before I inspect the barrel to insure it's free of any obstructions. 

Here's why.  This was in the barrel of that brand new, out of the box Marlin 60.  You can tell it's used at the factory to lube the barrel before boxing.  That end to the left is the threaded section that broke off the rod that holds it,

1737465469_m60brush.thumb.jpg.92853852db829429cbb2cb98ef703d10.jpg

• Like 3
  • Sad 1

• Super User

Oh, I've meet a whole bunch of people that would have had their day ruined if they had gotten it.  I sent Marlin an email telling them what I thought of their QC.  That bore mop looked like it was worn out several hundred guns before that one.  It was bent in a couple of places, most of the fiber was gone and brass wire they twisted to make it, was worn half way through in those area where it was bent.  It was bad enough, I hope it broke off on the first pass through that barrel.

I've always preached, never shoot a new barrel without cleaning it to get any petroleum based oils and rust preventer the factory may have used in it out.  That makes a bad carbon for the barrel.

I reload and years ago I went to check some loads I had made for a 6mm.  Before leaving the house I pulled a bore snake through it to get the oil out.  When I got to the range, just from habit after setting the rifle on the rest and before putting the clip in, I pulled the bolt out and looked down the barrel.  There was a frigging spent primer in it.  I figure it had to have either been in the soft case I put it in, or stuck to the bore snake some way but it was sitting there, about three inches down the barrel.   That could really ruin a day because with the power behind that bullet and that was a sport barrel, It would have peeled that barrel back like a banana and sent shrapnel in all directions.