Sign in to follow this  
FR0G

Got my first boat!

Its a 1988 Boston Whaler Striper 17' with a Johnson GT100. It used to be my uncles, but he passed away sometime ago, but now I have it. I got a couple of questions. The trolling motor that is on it now is a Minnkota 36lb. Will this push me fine in windless situations? I eventually want to get a updated trolling motor with more thrust, but this is what I got right now. How do I know what length shaft to get also? Would it be safe to make the standing decks longer to be more like a modern bass boat? I also would like to add more storage too. I will get pics tomorrow.

Congrats on the first boat ;D a Whaler is a fine way to get started. The TM will be border line but should be ok until you have the funds to update. Speaking of updates. Be careful of what you modify on the boat. Whalers hold value like crazy and you don't want to diminish that in case you decide to change boats later. big

Congratulations on your first boat, FROG.  Regarding the trolling motor, a 42 inch shaft is plenty on a regular bass boat.  You may have to go to 52 inches or more on a whaler.  I can't be sure without seeing your boat.