Sign in to follow this  
The Rooster

Anybody ever replace a boat trailer before??

What do you need to know?

I have replaced a couple of boat trailers. One boat that I had bought the trailer rusted away to almost nothing. I bought a new one and scraped the old one. I have a 12' boat that did not come with a trailer, so I had to buy one for it.

Hi,

Yes I not only replaced the my fathers boat trailer, I built it myself. It was much cheaper and it was NEW. The boat was a 22 footer so it wasn't just a little boat. It was big and heavy. I used 3 inch tube steel, took it to the welder and the bent it to my specs and I used a mobile home axle.

I wouldn't recomend building your own these days. The price of steel is prohibitively expensive so if I were you, I would just find somebody that is selling an old boat around the size you need, get rid of the boat and customize the trailer to your needs. Easy.

Well I have a 16' deep V-hull rated for a 90 HP outboard (and it has 88 horses on it!).  The boat is in like new condition since I overhauled it this passed spring.  You'd think it was brand new to look at it in the water even though it's a 93 model.

But the trailer is pretty rough looking.  It's rusted up pretty severely where the crossbeams meet the main frame of it.  And anywhere they made a hole from the factory and installed a rubber grommet to run wires through, those points are pretty much gone too.  The rust is so bad that it's flaking off of the trailer and the metal is thin in places.  I'm afraid it will actually break in half on me one day!!  

And this passed year the supports for the boat to sit on it needed some attention too.  I fixed it as best I could (knowing it would be temporary at best) using replacement trailer parts and a roller wheel for the keel to sit on that I got from a marine shop.  Originally the trailer did not have a part like this, it had just a plastic coated metal plate for the keel to hit on.  The plastic broke from all the years of it hitting and it was metal to metal contact with the hull and the trailer.  CAN'T HAVE THAT!!  I replaced it with a keel roller and bracket.

Even with the new parts on though the hardware to install it with is now bent from the weight of the boat and the impact of it hitting it each time it's trailered again after having it on the water.  Hard to explain but due to the way the crossbeam is made I had to use a 3/4" stack of washers on each attaching bolt to make a spacer so the bracket that holds the keel roller on could sit straight.  Otherwise it would not have fit at all.  But because it's extended away from the crossbeam, the impact of the boat hitting it each time has allowed it to bend down.  So I know this won't last forever.

So I was wanting to replace the whole trailer with an aluminum trailer to avoid future issues of rust happening.  That way I'd have all brand new EVERYTHING on the trailer and no more worries.  I'm unsure of how to measure for a new one though.  Should the dealer who sells a new trailer know how to do it, or do I have to know what I need in advance??

An aluminum trailer will cost a small fortune. You best bet you be a galvanized trailer. Yes, some one who sell boat trailers will be able to help you out with a trailer.

http://www.loadrite.com Whatever trailer you get it should have at least 12" tires.

Find out how much your boat, motor and a full tank of fuel weighs. Do not forget to add all the extra stuff you will carry in your boat. Rods, tackle, coolers etc...

I had to replace a trailer on a similar boat a few years ago. i have a 17'6 sea nymph deep V with a 75hp.. It wasn'y that hard to find a trailer, just the right size took a while. There are some nice newer trailer on ebay, some place in Michigan sells many. Check you local boat shops. people switch out trailer all the rtime when they buy a new boat, and some just don't buy a trailer. I ended up finding a 4 year old (new, never used, never titled, never had a boat on it) trailer, the local dealer , he had several that he bought from a shop that was going out of buisiness. He had them to fit from 16 up to 24 feet.

how to measure the boat so the trailer fits. what is the weight of your boat? you need this to some cheep trailer just do not hold a lot of weight. I found some for 17-18 foot boats that only help 1000 pounds. not good/ ok measure the with between you fenders on your old trailer and the with of you boat were it site between the fenders. on some trailer boats sit ubove the fenders and some they sit down between the fenders you want there to be enough room for the boat to fit between the fenders. and measure the lenght from the eyehook to the end of the boat. that is the lenght you want from the winch post to the end of the bunks. you don't want the boat hanging over the bunks. some trailer the winch post will adjust for some fine tuning.  

One last thing. is there any thing on the bottom of your boat? or is the hull smooth? My boat has 4 ( not sure what they are called, but they are like finns that run the lenth of the boa)t and I had to make sure the bunks would fit beteen them

I think those are called chines.  Not sure myself.

I'm aware of what an aluminum trailer will cost.  I'm thinking somewhere around $1700.  I was on loadrite.com also looking at them and found a dealer in this area who sells them using their "find a dealer" link.  I'll check them out.  Thanks for the info.

I had to Replace my Triton Tr-20 trailer after hitting something in a construction zone this year. I replaced it with an tandem axle aluminum trailer and besides a couple fitting tweaks needed it's awesome. The cost was $2499 but, my insurance more than covered that.