Sign in to follow this  
dee tee

Used Pontoon Boat - Now What??

So we got a used pontoon boat that is supposed to be the family's only water toy.  Can't afford a trolling motor for it right now.  Has a 25 HP Mercury 2 cycle.  I got a Hummingbird 140 C fishfinder for my b-day and am installing it on the pontoon boat in the spring.  Can't wait!!

Here's my question - is there any resource or article or easy explanation of how the total power source system should be set up?  Do I need multiple batteries?  If so, what kind.  What would a map of the system look like?  I'm looking to keeping the fishfinder on even with the motor not running.  I amy also put other electronics on the pontoon.  I also may want to have lights on when I'm fishing late evening.  So I'm looking for versitility and having enough juice without over doing it.  Any directions that can be given will be helpful.

dee tee   ;)

You need at least 2 batteries to be safe.  If one goes dead then you have the other one to start your engine with.  If you go out with only one and it goes dead then you're stuck!!  I run 2 myself, but one is on the trolling motor exclusively.  You don't have a trolling motor but you still need that second battery as a fallback incase the first one doesn't last.  Since you're running lights especially.

I agree with the rooster. You would want at least two batteries. One to start the gas motor and one to run your electronics.  If and when you get a trolling motor you will want a battery for that. When you do put lights on I suggest using LEDs they consume much less power than standard bulbs.

Dee Tee,

Be sure to have a good set of paddles and a charged cell phone, too.  ;D   ;D   ;D

Happy Thanksgiving

I've yet to see how ANYONE could possibly paddle a pontoon boat!  Yea, I've got the paddles but I thought they were used to bop the fish over the head with  ;D ;D ;D

Hi dee tee, well, my boat is not a pontoon, but a lot of the options I have added to my boat apply to yours as well. Check out my post under "for those who can appreciate a good ole project" dated Nov. 24, 9:55 PM. When you install 2 batteries, make sure you get a battery switch .I know of two types.

1. Allows you to select either barrery 1, both batteries, or turns off both batteries. I have this model on my boat. When fishing, using my fish finder, trolling motor, radios, submersible lights, etc., I keep the switch on "battery 1". Battery 2 stays fully charged to be used for starting. I switch to "both" for starting outboard engine, then leave switch on "both" while running to charge both batteries. When I stop again I switch back to "battery 1" for fishing. You'll always have a charged battery for starting engine. The other switch option is probably an even better choice.This switch works like this;

2. Allows you to select either battery 1, battery 2, both batteries, or turns off both batteries.  8-)

You can purchase either of these switches at West Marine or many marine catalogs.      Happy fishing. D ;)

~B.A.S.S.~N.A.F.C.~BoatU.S.~N.RA.~A.M.A.~