Sign in to follow this  
wasabi_VA

Advice needed for a bow mount trolling motor

I'm getting one of those mini toons mentioned in previous threads. I want to put a tiller style (non-foot controlled) trolling motor on the bow. I'm assuming I'll just buy a transom mount and spin the head around and just checking in to see if that is a good idea. Another issue is most transom styles come with 5 speeds and not variable speeds. Sometimes I like to troll jigs and minnows for crappie so getting the right sped can be hard if the closest setting still pushes you too fast. Anybody know of a transom mount with variable speed?

Finally is which thrust? I'm sure a small, inexpensive 30 lb. thrust will do fine on the small pond I fish but I also go to a larger reservoir where I'll want to get from point A to point B asap. That suggests a 55 lb. model.

Hmmmm, decisions, decisions! ;)

THe Minn Kota Maxxum is a variable speed motor available in 40 and 55 lbs thrust 12V.

The Motor Guide Freshwater model FW54 HT Digital is also a variable speed wth 54 lbs of thrust 12V.

You answered your own question about how much thrust is needed. More is better.

I would suggest that you put a Big Foot switch in the electrical circuit for convenient on/off operation. That way you can fish more and fool with the motor less while fishing.

I'm getting one of those mini toons mentioned in previous threads. I want to put a tiller style (non-foot controlled) trolling motor on the bow. I'm assuming I'll just buy a transom mount and spin the head around and just checking in to see if that is a good idea. Another issue is most transom styles come with 5 speeds and not variable speeds. Sometimes I like to troll jigs and minnows for crappie so getting the right sped can be hard if the closest setting still pushes you too fast. Anybody know of a transom mount with variable speed?

Finally is which thrust? I'm sure a small, inexpensive 30 lb. thrust will do fine on the small pond I fish but I also go to a larger reservoir where I'll want to get from point A to point B asap. That suggests a 55 lb. model.

Hmmmm, decisions, decisions! ;)

If your mini toon doesn't have any type of keel you may want to rethink mounting it on the bow. I've got a Foldcat TM rear mount and it handles OK. BUT if I turn it around or put it in reverse it will not track worth a flip. This will be a common theme on most any 'toon without skags or keel.

just my .02 worth