Sign in to follow this  
mrbassky

Plastic two man pond prowler vs jon boat

I am getting one or the other this winter but I am not sure which. I have never been in a 2 man plastic boat and was wondering what they are like? How stable are they? How fast compared to jon boat will they go with a 2hp or trolling motor? How do they handle waves you might see in a 200 acre lake? and any other info would be great and which would you guys recommend?

If you can use a trailer and ramp to access the lake, I would go with a small jonboat. The widest you can find. I chose a prowler style plastic boat because I knew I had to hand load it from the truck to the bank and could get a wide (4') boat but only 8; long to help keep the weight down. I think my plastic boat is more stable for a short boat. It was all I wanted since I have a bigger boat for larger waters.

I am seeing lots of jons and prowlers on craigslist either way.

They are stable.

Would not want to get caught on rough water with one.

How fast ? It's not.

On a lake that size , it would definately be a bank hugger.

Jon boat would be more safe.     JMHO

Jon Boat = Heavier, safer in big waves, more room, more casting space.

My jon boat doesn't track well when using the trolling motor.  However, I like it because it has plenty of room and lots of casting space.  If you have a friend you fish with they will appreciate the extra space and casting room.  

My biggest drawback to the jon boat is the weight.  You may have to build or buy a wheeled cart if you can't drive into or near the water.  Weight is not a big issue if you have a good fishing buddy.  My wife likes to fish and goes with me a lot so I end up using a home made wheeled cart to get to the water so she doesn't have to lift and it's easier for me.  Getting it in and out of the back of my pick-up is a pain.  A trailer is nice.

If you don't mind the weight you can customize a jon boat, something not so easily done with a small plastic boat.  Customizing a jon boat is the way to go.  Get some nice pedestal seats that swivel, you'll experience fewer leg cramps and be more comfortable while fishing and motoring.

The wider the jon boat the better.  Wider jon boats are more stable although they are heavier.  If you fish rivers wider boats are harder to get through shoals during float trips than more narrow boats.  If you plan any overnight trips with your jon boat you and your buddy can easily fit in the boat with all you fishing and camping gear.  That's a big plus if you ever do a weekend float trip on a river.

A good jon boat should last you a long time.  

Plastic boats are lighter and, as a result, will be faster with your trolling motor.  A 2hp trolling motor is too small in my opinion.  Something I would consider upgrading with your new boat.  I have a 55lb thrust trolling motor on my 14 foot jon.  I did have a 35lb thrust motor that did well until it met a huge rock in the middle of a river I was fishing.  My 55lb thrust motor may be a little too big; it uses a lot of battery and adds extra weight.  I fish almost exclusively rivers with my job boat so the larger trolling motor helps me get up stream faster and through swifter water.  

The larger and wider the boat the better the boat will handle big waves on a lake.  But whether you get a plastic or a jon boat neither handles waves as good as a bass boat.

We also gig out of my jon boat, something that's a lot harder to do from a small plastic.  Overall, a jon boat is more versatile.  

Hope this helps.

i have owned both. the jon is the more versatile of the 2.u can use a tm on the small lakes and then when budget permits , like i just did, pick up a gas engine. the trailer is the way to go. welded and as wide as u can find. i own a 1444 g3, i think if i ever upgrade i would stop at a 16 ft, wide jon. width is more important then lenght.i enjoyed my pond prowler but my choices of where to fish was limited

jon boats are roomier, and everything else these guys said.

I have owned both, and I think my jon is better. My pond prowler was really only good for one person. When the wind kicked up I didnt venture far. With my jon, I have more room, and I can bring a friend.

2 words, "pee pad". Jon boats are more stable so when you stand to pee the boat wont want to flip over and dump all your fish!

I own both, and love both. I would go with the jon if I had to pick one.  The plastic boats are super stable but they tend to fill up with water after awhile. I put a 5hp on my basshunter...big mistake. get yourself a nice used 12-14 foot jon off craigslist and you will be happy.