Sign in to follow this  
rboat

TM debate

I am thinking about a new trolling motor this year. My boat is fairly small and is only set up for 12 volts. So the debate continues (motorguide or minnkota)?  I currently own a motorguide and it has served me well. It is beat up and kind of out dated. Lets hear it and thanks for the help.

Tell me your choice and why, consider cost, reliability, ease of use, features, etc.

I hope this doesn't get as heated as Diawa vs Shimano. ;)

MinnKota would be my choice.  I only had one problem with my minnkota which was my fault, and MinnKota was nice enough to give me a new motor!  Other than that, my minnkota has been running strong 7+years.  However, if money is your prioty you already have a motorguide that you can use until it kicks the bucket than buy a minnkota.

Minnkota! I have a 30 thrust on my 14' Jon and have never had any problems with it, I am going to have to buy a prop for it cause I have worn the old one out, but the motor is still working like the first day I bought it.

They are pretty much equal and both have been in the business a long time. Those that have had bad luck with one will prefer the other. Those that have had a good experience with whichever they first purchased are inclined to stay with what has worked for them.

I have had both plus a few more brands for the past 40 or so years and have nothing bad to say about any of them-they all worked very well.

I wish I could combine them and make a franken-motor.  MK's head and composite shaft combined with MG's foot control.

I've got a 12V 46lb. thrust Motorguide on my 17' xpress and it does wonderfully. My buddy has a much larger minnkota and its awesome as well. Can't go wrong with one of the two.

For the small cheaper motors, It's which ever you can find on sale with the best deal at the time you're looking to buy.

When it comes to the bigger tournament grade bow mounts that I'm going to fork out $700 to $1,000 for it's only going to be a MotorGuide