Sign in to follow this  
IdahoLunkerHunter

Fish Finder on Kayak

An Eagle Fishmark 320 and a motorcycle battery or sealed rechargeable battery will suit your needs and be in your price range. You can mount the transducer in-hull for shoot-thru behind you so it won't be in the way and won't be damaged if mounted externally.

I use a HB 383c GPS combo.  Might be a little out of your range, but I really like being able to link depth with locations.  Really helps when navigating confusing backwaters.  For battery, you want a deep cycle battery, not a cranking battery for a motorcycle.  They are typically used as backup power for home security systems.  I got mine at Radio Shack for around $20.  My yak has a battery shelf with a clip strap to hold it in place.  It shouldn't be too hard to come up with something like siliconing in a Rubbermaid container.  Put it somewhere convenient, otherwise you'll be bitchin' about it every time you need to charge it up ;)

GARMIN FISHFINDER 300C or Humminbird Fishfinder 565, would something like this be adequate. I have found some good deals on ebay and this is about the price range im willing to spend at most $200.

The good thing about my kayak is it is open bow and I have tons or places to mount the electronics but I don't know about the transponder is there a specific way to do it on kayaks thats better than another?

Also I wanted to know that is it easier to target fish from the kayak approach because you are moving much slower than boat and you have a more target area because the hull is only a couple feet wide.

Also I wanted to know that is it easier to target fish from the kayak approach because you are moving much slower than boat and you have a more target area because the hull is only a couple feet wide.
Not sure I get what you mean?  Are you referring to "fishing in the cone"?  My unit has a dual beam transducer, wide and narrow.  In deep water, where I am looking for the most detail, I use the narrow beam (200 MHz).  When I'm scanning the area to get an idea of the structure, I use the wide (85 MHz) or hybrid mode.  Makes no difference whether I'm in a boat or a yak.  Rarely, if ever do I "target" a "fish" on screen.  I fish an area that appears to be holding fish.  Just because I don't see fish on screen doesn't mean I'll pass an area on by either.

The good thing about my kayak is it is open bow and I have tons or places to mount the electronics but I don't know about the transponder is there a specific way to do it on kayaks thats better than another?

Mine is a through hull transducer, and it is mounted in one of the scupper holes.  Its actually got a recess in the bottom to accommodate the puck.  Take a look at kayakfishingstuff.com for installation tips.

298779560_jk2b9-L.jpg

My biggest issue is there isn't much room to mount the finder. I have two scupper holes one up front and one in middle right before my seat I have drawn a pretty crappy rendition of what I was thinking possibly. There is no dry storage up front so A dry box would need to be built

post-8793-130162913824_thumb.gif

Depending on the F/R balance, I'd think about locating the battery behind the seat.  As for the display, just be sure you can easily access the buttons without losing you balance on the water.  Not sure about other units, but on mine, its easy to "poke" the buttons with the butt end of the rod.  Makes it nice to drop a way point after you land a fish ;)

I will keep you updated I need to do some more research on where mounting stuff can go ;)

The Balance is no issue. Those two parts that swing open make the boat impossible to flip or tip over. Ive tried. Ive been standing up with 2 foot swells it was tough but do-able..

wow-  nice yak..  that's like the trasformers of yaks.  I was looking into a native kayak with a trolling motor through the middle of the hull LOL!~  I'm not even joking~! ;)