Sign in to follow this  
jack1

Autopilot?

I'm planning to upgrade to a 70 lb,V2, Minn kota PD but wasn't sure if I should get the autopilot feature.

From reading the description of the autopilot, isn't that the same thing and pointing the tm in one direction and engaging the constant speed feature on?  What's the difference?

When you put your trolling motor on constant and try and point it in one direction it WILL NOT track strait. The autopilot will find a target and track that path, depending on the model you can also have depth track, shore track and creek track. I wouldn't mind having autopilot but, they are to delicate for my type of fishing. One trip across Erie would problably destroy the unit.

Say you do not have autopilot. You point your tm towards a far off bank and let it start taking you there. Then the wind blows a little and now your bow is pointing 50 yards off target and your tm keeps pulling you whereever your bow is pointed. Then the wind blows more, your bow starts to spin furthe away from your desierd location, and your tm just keeps pulling you wherever that bow is now pointing.

I have autopilot. When I leave the dock on my electric-only reservoir I am usually heading to a cove I can see but is about 1/3 mile away. I point my tm towards it, engage autopilot and the boat heads off that way and I can start getting things ready in the boat. After about 5 minutes I am getting close and can make a slight adjustment and let the autopilot get me right where I want.

Hmm...I see.

So the AP only knows how to keep the boat in a straight path regardless what conditions you are face on the water unless you manually change its direction right?

So those of you who do have the AP.  Is it worth the extra $200 or is that something you can live without it?