Sign in to follow this  
Danonboat

Evinrude trolling motor???? and 12v/24V ???

Anybody know much about evinrude trolling motors. I am mid way through a 14ft boat mod and I am looking at a 1997 42lb 42" evinrude bow mount hand steering trolling motor. The guy said he has only used it four times because he took it off to put a different one on. (probably foot controlled). I am not concerned with the hand tiller. New addition in the family so money is a main reason for this. The guy is only asking 75$. Thanks for any tips. It is an hour drive to this guys place and I just happened to be going there today to ice fish at my buddies. So i will erase this post before I leave. Thanks Dan

I'm familiar with original OMC trolling motors with the bent shaft. Is that the same model? Another company made them for OMC just before OMC went bankrupt (maybe MinnKota). If it is the bent shaft model, it is one of the best motors ever made. I still have one on my jon boat and had one on my bass boat that I sold and gave the purchaser a spare one. If it is a bent shaft model 42# thrust, it is either 24V or 12/24V with the small prop.

I don't know about the bent shaft he didnt post any pics unfortunatly. Also  I guess I never even knew there was a voltage difference among trolling motors. I have always just had a basic 12v transom mount. If it is 24v do I then have to use 2 batteries. Because right now I just have one that I use for both my depthfinder and the trolling motor. I wouldn't mind getting another if that were the case. . Thanks

I don't know about the hand control models but the foot control if it had a switch on the foot petal 12/24 it's a 42 lb they later made a 56 lb that was strait 24 volt.

At the last they still had the bent shaft and it came in the middle of the motor. Basically ruined the design.

The weak leak was the cable for foot steer and yours is hand control so go for it.

The 12/24 had a small prop that was great in weeds and the 56 had a giant prop good in open water, they both fit each other with the hole re drilled and most people bought both.

Garnet

All 4 of those motors I owned including the one I still have is 12/24V. Two were the regular small prop 41# thrust and the other two were the large prop 56# models called HO.

Danonboat, 36V models from several mfg. are quite common in recent years, I have one of those too. There are some models that are 24/36V.