Sign in to follow this  
Craw

Spooning/Vertical Jigging

I enjoy this technique but my success has been limited to only "Hopkins" style spoons in that hammered silver finish. I haven't played around with gold or painted finishes and I've never used a dressed treble. I was wondering how much variation to the basic style do you guys employ? Is there anything I need to do to in order to get a few more strikes? Today I spooned up the biggest smallie I've caught in 2 months so now I'm anxious to get back out there and play around with it. Thanks guys.

By all means, get you a handful of Silver Buddies if you like vertical jigging.  One of the finest smallie blade baits ever invented.  I used the half ounce consistently on Lake Erie with great results.  For the standard jigging spoon, if you can find some slender enough, slip a tube jig over the spoon.  Also works great at times.

By all means, get you a handful of Silver Buddies if you like vertical jigging. One of the finest smallie blade baits ever invented. I used the half ounce consistently on Lake Erie with great results. For the standard jigging spoon, if you can find some slender enough, slip a tube jig over the spoon. Also works great at times.

Thanks for the tip. I bought me a handful of silver buddies today in 1/2 and 3/4oz.

I fish very clear water but here White and Silver finsh work best. I like the Silver Buddy but I also like the Bass Pro Shops® XPS Lazer Blade in Nickel and Nickel/Blue

200-240-08.jpg

73027c.jpg

By all means, get you a handful of Silver Buddies if you like vertical jigging. One of the finest smallie blade baits ever invented. I used the half ounce consistently on Lake Erie with great results. For the standard jigging spoon, if you can find some slender enough, slip a tube jig over the spoon. Also works great at times.

Thanks for the tip. I bought me a handful of silver buddies today in 1/2 and 3/4oz.

Unless you're going really deep/fishing in HIGH winds, I doubt that the 3/4oz will be needed a lot.  I used the 1/2oz down to 40' in Lake Erie.  I fish mine on spinning gear w/12lb line, although you can use baitcasting gear as well.  There's a lot of ways to fish them.  You can retrieve them straight back, hop them down ledges, etc., but my favorite is vertical jigging.  I drop straight down until it rests on the bottom (or whatever depth the fish are holding at), then pop it up a couple of feet.  Let it fall back on a "semi-tight" line.  If you just rip it up and drop your rod tip, the SB's have a tendency to tangle hooks in the line.  Most of the time you'll get hit as it drops back.  Watch where your line enters the water.  If you see it coiling up before it gets back down, SET THE HOOK! ;)

I've had strikes I've never felt.  Just went to rip the lure back up and darn near got my arm broke from a big smallie :)  

try fergies special - a jigging spoon available from cabealas. have caught 13 diffirent species with it including 42# striper and 12 #walleye and 8#3oz largemouth. two treble hooks and wire with beads attached to top of lure for sound. 3/4 oz size my best.

A local jigging spoon that is especially popular and effetive on the extremely clear waters of both Lakes Bull Shoals and Norfork for Bass, Walleye, and Stripped Bass is the Bink's jigging spoon especially the 'Many Shad' available in White Scale or Silver.

It is the model in the center of the picture below.

bink%20spoon%2012.jpg

http://www.binksguideservice.com/binks%20spoon.htm

The Bink's catches 3 fish for every 1 fish caught with a Hopkins on our two local reservoirs.

Certainly one of my weaker areas.  Have a friend that does it a lot, uses a traditional jigging spoon and has some success.  I get hung up.  However, there is some information about this technique and the associated sonar pics available on another site.  Not wanting to break any protocol, or violate etiquette.  If you're interested bfhp.com.  Fishing Tactics, then research all posts by LTBama.  Some great info that may help many.  Talks mostly about the sonar, baitfish, etc., but also about the tackle he uses.  Be prepared for popups, ads, can be annoying.