Sign in to follow this  
fishingfourfun

Reel Question

My wife bought me a Pfluger Supreme spinning reel.  I have a question regarding line capacity.  Is it advisable to use a heavier line than is recommended.  I wanted the ten pound model but I certainly don't need 250 yard capacity to bass fish.  Can I use a smaller model with heavier line?

Larger diameter reel spools allow the use of heavier line as the larger diameter reduces the tendency for the line to loop off the spool, and the heavier the line, the more it will do that.

I have not found on my freshwater spinning reels that I can use lines heavier than 8 pound test MONO.  I know  a lot of people do, but I don't know their secret.  I would not advise going heavier than recommended for the reel.  

Use cheap, heavy, line for backing to allow you to fill the spool with your fishing line without using an excessive amount of it.  As you mention, you will not use 250 yards, and most of the time a couple cast lengths is all you will use.  Fill it to within 1/8 of an inch of the lip of the spool for good casting.

I have evolved into using 10-15 pound BRAID with a 6-10 pound flourocarbon leader of about 6-7 feet in length for my spinning rods.  Use a uni-uni knot to connect the braid and flouro (do a Google search for uni knot and you'll get instructions fast).  Wet the knot as you are sliding it together, and trim the flouro close to the knot.  Use a palomar knot or similar knot for the terminal end of the flouro.

Try this and you'll find it casts like a dream compared to anything but 4 pound mono, minimizes looping dramatically, and has better sensitivity than mono.  

My wife bought me a Pfluger Supreme spinning reel.  I have a question regarding line capacity.  Is it advisable to use a heavier line than is recommended.  I wanted the ten pound model but I certainly don't need 250 yard capacity to bass fish.  Can I use a smaller model with heavier line?

Not a good idea. All other things being equal, larger diameter spools handle line better. Nobody needs 250 yards for bass, so follow the previous poster's advice and use cheap line as backing and 50-60 yards of the line you actually fish with. You'll save money on line, cast better and have fewer line problems than with a smaller model.