Sign in to follow this  
Theresamarie1

Best pitching outfit

We have this area on north champlain, where an old wooden railroad tressel runs across the lake (still used) that they say it's good for smallmouth. I've tried to get in there with the equipment I have, and tried pitching, but I'm just not doing that good a job. I know it's practice, practice, practice, but I'm finding that my line will just not come off the spool easy enough (baitcasters) to make a good pitch. I've just read elsewheres that it's best to use a spinning reel for pitching. Any comments, suggestions here? I need to go around 30' horizontally, then to a 13-15 foot depth. We could get closer if we had a bass boat, but alas we have a 23' sport boat which is difficult to get in close quarters in a stealthy manner.

I am sure you do but do you have the spool tension knob backed out? If you pitching a jig or other heavy lure it should fly off. Lighter worms might be an issue depending on the baitcaster. I use to use spinning to pitch but  like a baitcaster so much better, it is a more fluid motion.

I am sure you do but do you have the spool tension knob backed out? If you pitching a jig or other heavy lure it should fly off. Lighter worms might be an issue depending on the baitcaster. I use to use spinning to pitch but like a baitcaster so much better, it is a more fluid motion.

Hi Michbass, thanks for the response.    I was using a brand new calcutta TE 200GT and could not get that reel to behave well with 15 lb yo-zuri.   Behaving is not overrunning.   I have lots of other baitcasters that I can dial in for all kinds of fishing.  The day I was using it, I had 3/8 oz jig with a small craw trailer.    It was not overly light but no matter the settings, i could not get it to stop overrunning.   And given I had all of the brakes on, even with the spool loosened, I couldn't get a decent pitch.

But I think I've figured out my issue, I think it was the line.  I put a 10lb trilene max on it and practiced some casts and pitches around the house with a 3/8 weight on it and it casts fine without overruns.   So I guess the yo-zuri 15lb is a bit too stiff for the small diameter spool for casting... surprising, but seems to be the case based on my experiments.  I'll try again with this setup and the lighter line.   If this doesn't do the trick for me, I'll try a spinning setup.  

Michbass, does this stand for 'Michigan Bass Angler'?    I'm originally from Michigan and have fished for Walleye with my grandfather on Lake St. Clair.   One of these days I've got to get back to St. Clair to try some bass fishing.

i just got a new pitching/flipping setup. a 7'6" heavy johnny morris BPS flippin stick w/ a shimano curado DHSV 7:1. spooled with 50lb spiderwider or powerpro. i also used Pline CXX 20lb but i like braid better. im usually fishing heavy weeds and wood so its a little diffrent than what your doing. anyway just turn off all the brakes and just keep the tension knob loose and learn the thumb control. its all thumb control.

I am sure you do but do you have the spool tension knob backed out? If you pitching a jig or other heavy lure it should fly off. Lighter worms might be an issue depending on the baitcaster. I use to use spinning to pitch but  like a baitcaster so much better, it is a more fluid motion.

Hi Michbass, thanks for the response.    I was using a brand new calcutta TE 200GT and could not get that reel to behave well with 15 lb yo-zuri.   Behaving is not overrunning.   I have lots of other baitcasters that I can dial in for all kinds of fishing.  The day I was using it, I had 3/8 oz jig with a small craw trailer.    It was not overly light but no matter the settings, i could not get it to stop overrunning.   And given I had all of the brakes on, even with the spool loosened, I couldn't get a decent pitch.

But I think I've figured out my issue, I think it was the line.  I put a 10lb trilene max on it and practiced some casts and pitches around the house with a 3/8 weight on it and it casts fine without overruns.   So I guess the yo-zuri 15lb is a bit too stiff for the small diameter spool for casting... surprising, but seems to be the case based on my experiments.  I'll try again with this setup and the lighter line.   If this doesn't do the trick for me, I'll try a spinning setup.  

Michbass, does this stand for 'Michigan Bass Angler'?    I'm originally from Michigan and have fished for Walleye with my grandfather on Lake St. Clair.   One of these days I've got to get back to St. Clair to try some bass fishing.

I will trade you a trip on St.Clair for one on Champlain  :(  I also normally keep my brakes off and tension very low and use my thumb. Are the backlaches happing in the air or when it hits? Just curious?

I am sure you do but do you have the spool tension knob backed out? If you pitching a jig or other heavy lure it should fly off. Lighter worms might be an issue depending on the baitcaster. I use to use spinning to pitch but like a baitcaster so much better, it is a more fluid motion.

Hi Michbass, thanks for the response. I was using a brand new calcutta TE 200GT and could not get that reel to behave well with 15 lb yo-zuri. Behaving is not overrunning. I have lots of other baitcasters that I can dial in for all kinds of fishing. The day I was using it, I had 3/8 oz jig with a small craw trailer. It was not overly light but no matter the settings, i could not get it to stop overrunning. And given I had all of the brakes on, even with the spool loosened, I couldn't get a decent pitch.

But I think I've figured out my issue, I think it was the line. I put a 10lb trilene max on it and practiced some casts and pitches around the house with a 3/8 weight on it and it casts fine without overruns. So I guess the yo-zuri 15lb is a bit too stiff for the small diameter spool for casting... surprising, but seems to be the case based on my experiments. I'll try again with this setup and the lighter line. If this doesn't do the trick for me, I'll try a spinning setup.

Michbass, does this stand for 'Michigan Bass Angler'? I'm originally from Michigan and have fished for Walleye with my grandfather on Lake St. Clair. One of these days I've got to get back to St. Clair to try some bass fishing.

I will trade you a trip on St.Clair for one on Champlain :( I also normally keep my brakes off and tension very low and use my thumb. Are the backlaches happing in the air or when it hits? Just curious?

The backlashes happen upon the initial cast and not the drop or when it hits, so I'm pretty sure it had to do with the braking phase and not the spool tension phase.  In any case, the new line on this reel behaves much better but is probably too light for pitching.    I have an old browning agressor reel that's as smooth as silk that has 30 lb power pro on it and maybe I'll use that for pitching.  It's starting to get cold up here, so not many more weeks before I put the boat in shrink wrap!     I sure miss the longer warm seasons of Michigan!

Sounds like you are a split second off. I am another one of the no tension pitchers, all thumb.

From the description, it seems like you are releasing the thumb while the rod's tip is still "working". Try a slower release with thumb... slower meaning later and not all at once- it's more like the end of a cast but in reverse. As the tip is about finished let the spool begin to rotate for a split second and then let off... I think your just getting the spool started too fast.

Remember a pitch is like an upside down cast, but with all wrist.

My favorite pitching rod and reel is:

Powell 703C (7' MH with a lot of tip action- need it to sling the bait out there) with a 100 Curado with 15lb P-Line CXX. Spray the line with KVD Line and lure conditioner.

Set the spool fairly loose, and "feather" the line down as the lure starts to hit the water.

SC

Sounds like you are a split second off. I am another one of the no tension pitchers, all thumb.

From the description, it seems like you are releasing the thumb while the rod's tip is still "working". Try a slower release with thumb... slower meaning later and not all at once- it's more like the end of a cast but in reverse. As the tip is about finished let the spool begin to rotate for a split second and then let off... I think your just getting the spool started too fast.

Remember a pitch is like an upside down cast, but with all wrist.

Flechero, thanks for the suggestions.  I'll give them a try.   I do have many other casting reels I haven't had issues with, but maybe this is the answer for the bigger line.   I've only been back into it in the last 18 months or so, so I'm far from an expert.  Especially with all of the new techniques.  But I love to learn new things.

My favorite pitching rod and reel is:

Powell 703C (7' MH with a lot of tip action- need it to sling the bait out there) with a 100 Curado with 15lb P-Line CXX. Spray the line with KVD Line and lure conditioner.

Set the spool fairly loose, and "feather" the line down as the lure starts to hit the water.

SC

Shadcranker, thanks for the suggestions.  I may have to head up to lake george, as they hae a shop with powell rods.    I have tried the Real magic, but haven't found the KVD.  I may have to order some to see how it works.

Thanks,

i just got a new pitching/flipping setup. a 7'6" heavy johnny morris BPS flippin stick w/ a shimano curado DHSV 7:1. spooled with 50lb spiderwider or powerpro. i also used Pline CXX 20lb but i like braid better. im usually fishing heavy weeds and wood so its a little diffrent than what your doing. anyway just turn off all the brakes and just keep the tension knob loose and learn the thumb control. its all thumb control.

Thanks NJfishingguy, you've noted the common theme.. more manual 'thumb' control.

Thanks,

I've just read elsewheres that it's best to use a spinning reel for pitching.   Any comments, suggestions here?

Most people will pitch with a baitcaster.

There are many good rods out there but I can't think in a better reel than the TD-Z 105. I use braid for this technique.