Sign in to follow this  
Valascus

Looking for a good Ultra Light set up

I am currently looking for a good ultra light set-up in order to target mainly bluegill. However, I am completely foreign to the ultra light game and know very little about what constitutes a "good" ultra light set up. I've been poking around on BPS and Cabela's website trying to get a handle on some ideas. Any suggestions, advice, or help in this area is appreciated. Thanks!

if you want a good set up with out a big price tag I use a 6' st.croix premier ultralight with a shimano sodona 750. works really nicely. if you want to step it up a notch the st.croix avid with a symetre 750 would be awsome. I don't see a need to spend a ton for bluegills. just about anything will work.

I totally agree with the not needing to spend a lot to catch gills. I have an old Zebco Microspin (shows what I know about a good ultralight  :() that just doesn't cut the mustard. My Grandmother has some small farm ponds that were way overpopulated that I have turned into long term project ponds. I have begun my selective harvest of the stunted bass over the course of the last year, and now I a going to target the ballooning bluegill population, specifically the larger gills to help protect the bass spawn. I have already started to see some results with the ponds as the bass have already strated to grow larger since I have been selectively harvesting.

I was looking at a combo BPS has which is about $60.00. It is their BPS Micro-Lite Rod paired with a Pflueger Trion reel. I a alright with the reel, but the rod seems a little on the "eh" side to me. I'll be mostly using it to bobber lob using live bait (mealworms).

I have two of those BPS microlite rods; a 7' and an 8'. I use them both for gills and crappie. Do yourself a favor and do not put a "micro" reel on one. Get a regular sized spinning reel. I use a 30 size Quantum reel on both of mine. It's not for the line capacity; you don't need much line when panfishing. It's for casting and line handling. Those tiny spools result in more memory and more twist, and lousy casting, even with 4lb test line.

The microlites are on sale every year at least once. They are a lot of bang for the buck when on sale.

Cheers,

GK

I picked up the smallest Pflueger Trion and paired it with a 5'6" BPS Glass UL rod.

Pretty happy with hit so far. Plus for the price I couldn't beat it as a bluegill/brook trout setup.