Sign in to follow this  
Bob Kavanaugh

Cork issues

The cork handles on a couple of my rods are starting to shrink and crack. They are also very slippery because they are so dry. They've seen their share of rain and sunlight, but is there anything I can apply to the cork to improve their current condition?

The cork handles on a couple of my rods are starting to shrink and crack. They are also very slippery because they are so dry. They've seen their share of rain and sunlight, but is there anything I can apply to the cork to improve their current condition?
If they were my rods I would be replacing cork rings on the grips that have shrunk, and on grips that are just pitted and gouged I would be filling pits and roughing up the surfaces on all grips with a 60grit. Then I would apply a coat of U-40 Cork Sealer. So this didn't happen again....

Just my .02¢

Good Luck & Tight Lines!!!!

David, what do I fill the pits with?
I use cork dust and a 2 part rod epoxy. Mix a paste and force into the pits when cured then using from 60grt to 200grt to sand and smooth out the filler. Then use the U-40 Cork Sealer to seal and protect.

Sorry I don't have any in my supply shop had a customer buy up the last yesterday. I do have more on order.

Good Luck & Tight Lines!!!    

BobKavanaugh,

To add..... :)

If the grips coloring hasn't turned gray, and still has some color to it. You could try plastic wood filler in golden oak color, I will add I have never used the plastic filler idea, but quite a few builders on the rod building forums do.

Good Luck & Tight Lines!!!