Sign in to follow this  
901 nitro

help with changing bearings in my reels

i have seen many ads with the reels upgraded. new abec bearings and wonderinging if it is worth the extra cost and hard to do myself? i would like to change a couple of bushings in a calcutta 50 and a citica 100. in the calcutta there is a bushing on the shaft #bnt1817 and the citica #3756 is there a bearing conversion for these. bearings would be better than bushings? ceramic balls better than steel ? thanks for any help you could give me.        acts:4:12

Guest muddy

Send em to Reel Mech; Then you won't have to pay for what you mess up. I got a reel from RW he had worked on and it is superior work 8-)

What are the production years on these reels?

i have seen many ads with the reels upgraded. new abec bearings and wonderinging if it is worth the extra cost and hard to do myself?
The ABEC designation isn't a bearing make, it is a bearing rating ie: ABEC3, ABEC5, ABEC7 etc.

Doing it yourself, isn't hard as long as you have the tools to remove the spool engagement pin without bending the spool shaft, $45.00 and up for spools.

It would be best if it is done by a qualified reel tech.

Good Luck & Tight Lines!!!!

What are the production years on these reels?
i have seen many ads with the reels upgraded. new abec bearings and wonderinging if it is worth the extra cost and hard to do myself?
The ABEC designation isn't a bearing make, it is a bearing rating ie: ABEC3, ABEC5, ABEC7 etc.

Doing it yourself, isn't hard as long as you have the tools to remove the spool engagement pin without bending the spool shaft, $45.00 and up for spools.

It would be best if it is done by a qualified reel tech.

Good Luck & Tight Lines!!!!

thanks for your advice and i'll be doing some upgradeing this winter

Send em to Reel Mech; Then you won't have to pay for what you mess up. I got a reel from RW he had worked on and it is superior work 8-)
thank you for helping me decide to upgrade my reels  

Guest avid

I had my Daiwa Sol upgraded with ABEC 5 ceramic spool bearings and carbontexdrag washers.  I had already replaced the handle with a bearing supported Daiwa TD-Z handle (perfect fit)

The reel is silky dreamy smooth while retaining that lovely Daiwa "feel". It casts a mile.  

Is it worth it?

The "worth" of anything is purely subjective.  

If it's worth it to you then it's worth it.

I think it's worth it.  

I had my Daiwa Sol upgraded with ABEC 5 ceramic spool bearings and carbontexdrag washers.  I had already replaced the handle with a bearing supported Daiwa TD-Z handle (perfect fit)

The reel is silky dreamy smooth while retaining that lovely Daiwa "feel". It casts a mile.  

Is it worth it?

The "worth" of anything is purely subjective.  

If it's worth it to you then it's worth it.

I think it's worth it.  

Agree with Avid 100 %. I have upgraded the bearings of all my reels by now, there is no one that hasn't have a noticeable casting improvement. At the same time I can't noticed any difference between ABEC 5 and ABEC 7.

From this site  you can get decent ceramic 5s for $18.00 a set.

http://www.smoothdrag.com/price.html

Like reelmechanic said, a critical part is removing that pin, with a pin intact b/c you want it back, and w/o damaging the spool shaft.

This is my version of a pin remover, I made it copying the idea from other post and adapting it to my lack of proper power tools.. It took me no more than 1/2 h. With a Craftsman mini flat tip pliers and with a medium file cut a corner of the plier that would face the pin, in 1/4 x 1/8 ". I covered with electric tape for extra protection.

Also be careful when you remove and replace the bearing's  retainer, it does fly. I still do mine inside a plastic bag.

Hope it helps

post-2963-130162924539_thumb.jpg