Sign in to follow this  
Bass_Akwards

Best all around Open faced Reel&Rod Combo?

I'm looking to buy a new rod and reel. I don't want to spend a ton. 150 bucks or so. I fish all sorts of stuff, from heavy slop, to open water. Jigs and plugs and buzzbaits and frogs and crankbaits etc etc.

I know everything is relative, but what's the best rod&reel combo for me to pick up for the money? I know there's meduim action, heavy action etc etc, but I'm looking for the most versatile rod reel combo. Help? I fish from shore and like to be able to cast far.

T

I'm not going to get into specific brands. I've fished a lot from shore in addition to boats. I've never been a technique-specific guy and my rods have been 6'6" medium power. For most of my fishing years I used 10# mono, but lately I use 15# braid more than the mono. Those rods have always served me well for a variety of techniques. Obviously the reel should be compatible with the rod and line size you plan on using.

This year I bought a Gander medium heavy, but to tell you the truth, it just doesn't seem to be all that different from my mediums. Maybe a Gander MH has less power than other brands' MH.

I would personally recommend a 7' spinning rod, in medium or medium-heavy power and a medium-fast or fast action.   I would use mono line - 10 lb on a medium and 12 lb on a medium heavy.  I think either one of these would be about as versatile a rig as you can get.  

I won't recommend a brand, either.  There would be lots of decent choices out there in your price range.  I would, however, stick with the bigger names - Shimano, Abu Garcia, Daiwa, etc.  

I agree with the above replies.  I would get a 6'6 or 7' medium/medium heavy rod with a 2500-3500 size real. I would not be stuck on a brand, just quality components and a good warranty(because bad things happen).

Depending on your budget I would look at the different models of G Loomis spinnin rods.

IMX PR844s 7' Medium power fast action with a Shimano Symetre or Stradic $345-$380 (depending on reel)

GL3 SJR 842S 7' Medium power fast action with Shimano Symetre or Stradic $265-$300 (depending on reel)

GL2 SJR 782S 6'6" Medium power fast action with Shimano Symetre or Stradic $200-$240

then there is my choice for a good spinnin rod:

Loomis SMR882 7'4" Medium power/fast action with a Shimano Symetre. I LOVE THIS RIG. It is light weight, super sensitive, with a soft tip yet very powerful but section. Everything I have doen with this rod has been amazing: Cranks, Worms (even up to 8 and 9 inch worms) smaller spinner baits, buzz baits, grubs, draggin football jigs, senkos,ikas,split shot rig, drop shot even, but my personal favorite for this rod is its abilities with Shaky head rigs...it seems like this rod was made for doing this, except that it also does everything else better than average. This is as close to an all around rod (spining or casting) that I have ever used.

or you could look at the St. Croix Avids and Legend Elites or Tournaments in the 6'6' or 7' medium rods.

Both St. Croix and Loomis make great rods, and I realize there are other great rods but these are the ones I have personal experience with so its all will comment on.

As far as reels so I guess its obvious I am a big Shimano fan. I personally choose the Symetre becuase it seems, to me at least, that you dont gain much in reel until you jump all the way to the Stella, so I stick with the Symetre...

I dont know personally but I have heard great things about Daiwa's new higher end reels so I wouldnt be afraid to look there either.

I'm looking to buy a new rod and reel. I don't want to spend a ton. 150 bucks or so. I fish all sorts of stuff, from heavy slop, to open water. Jigs and plugs and buzzbaits and frogs and crankbaits etc etc.

I know everything is relative, but what's the best rod&reel combo for me to pick up for the money? I know there's meduim action, heavy action etc etc, but I'm looking for the most versatile rod reel combo. Help? I fish from shore and like to be able to cast far.

T

Given the list of lures, IMO, I would say between a 3/8-3/4 and 3/8-1 oz fast action rod (choose the length you prefer). They are generally listed as medium heavy to heavy rods. It depends on the size of lures you are listing. Larger buzzbaits and cranks are going to require a heavier rod. Slop will also require the heavier rod.

Berkley lightning rod and president reel (spinning) will put you well below budget, you could get 2.

You could get a closeout Avid rod and president reel (spinning) that will match your budget.

You could do the same thing with baitcasters with different named reels.

The above are just examples, it's best to take the basic requirements and shop around. Pick out a rod or two, and a reel or two, then ask specific questions on them. Every brand has great reels and rods, and some that your better off avoidinig.