Sign in to follow this  
Micro

Daiwa Viento for flipping and jigging

Does anyone have this reel?  What's the verdict on it?  It got a decent review at Tackle Tour, but I'd like to hear some long-term reviews.  How's the twitchin' bar?  Does it hold up?  Does it even work well?   Any other thoughts?

I'm thinking of putting one on my flipping rod.  

I've used it once. I wanted to get one for jigs, but actually prefer doing all the work myself. You have more control and more feel.

I realized the way I fish jigs it's not needed, and may take away from my jig fishing.

I have had mine for over two years now and no complaints. It still looks brand new. The twitching bar has held up fine. I used it when I first got it for jigging paired up with a Kistler Helium 7' MH rod. I now have it on a Kistler Helium 7' M rod for fishing jerk baits and flukes. The twitching bar is cool when you're fishing a fluke but I don't use it for any other bait. ;)

i had one and i HATED IT! >;) >:( the craftsmanship was terrible and right out of the box it was a piece! and that "twitchin bar" thing on it is really obsolete in my mind, i actuaally ended up doing all the work like usual without the bar, i dont recomend this reel

I've messed around with one in the store and the bar seems kind of gimmicky.  But the reel seemed very nice.  I wanted another LP BC reel for my flipping rod (currently using Abu 5600 C4) and thought the Viento might be a nice change from my usual revos.  

I've messed around with one in the store and the bar seems kind of gimmicky. But the reel seemed very nice. I wanted another LP BC reel for my flipping rod (currently using Abu 5600 C4) and thought the Viento might be a nice change from my usual revos.

If you're looking for low profile without the gimmick get the Sol or the Alphas.  They are both the same, the Alphas is just the JDM version.  They are very low profile.  I own both and the Alphas is much more comfortable to palm than the Viento.  You will be pleased with the Sol or Alphas. ;)

I just recently sold one used.  Messed around with it for awhile.  To be honest I was rather underwhelmed.  For the price,  the reel just didn't seem as solid as I thought it should. I didn't care for the twitchin bar at all.

If you're looking for low profile without the gimmick get the Sol or the Alphas. They are both the same, the Alphas is just the JDM version. They are very low profile. I own both and the Alphas is much more comfortable to palm than the Viento. You will be pleased with the Sol or Alphas. ;)

What's the JDM version?  I've seen that before, but don't know what it means?  Is it the Japanese version??

If you're looking for low profile without the gimmick get the Sol or the Alphas. They are both the same, the Alphas is just the JDM version. They are very low profile. I own both and the Alphas is much more comfortable to palm than the Viento. You will be pleased with the Sol or Alphas. ;)

What's the JDM version? I've seen that before, but don't know what it means? Is it the Japanese version??

Japanese Domestic Market, yes it is the Japanese version of the reel.  If you decide to get an Alphas let me know and I can point you in the right direction.  The Sol you can buy at just about any U.S. tackle store like BPS.