Sign in to follow this  
.dsaavedra.

rinsing out a reel

so i have a shimano citica and an okuma stratus, both freshwater reels. but i think there is some good bass fishing in a brackish inlet. well after i fish in the brackish water, should i rinse my reels out? can i just run them under the hose? or will this take out the greese and oil and stuff and make the reels not work properly?

what should i do after i use freshwater stuff in brackish water?

thanks guys.

I rinse mine off, out then hit it with reel magic spray can not the pump spray junk.

dsaavedra,

The thing I would be worried about keeping maintained in your reels, would be the bearings. Reels made for salty or brackish environments, have sealed bearings packs yours do not. Especially if you have a ported spool on your citica. The water is getting into the spool support bearings, and down into the crank assembly in the reel. So if you are going to use it in salt, then be ready to brake it down every time. Aluminum and salt don't like each other..

Just my .02¢

Saltwater Maintenance

Good Luck & Tight Lines!!!

thanks a bunch dave. so after i fish in brackish i should take the spool out and soak it in freshwater and spray the insides out? what kind of corrosion inhibitors should i use and where should i apply them?

And just a note for those who do rinse their reels with the hose.  Be sure to use a light spray, don't spray them like they are on fire.  You don't want to force water into areas it shouldn't be.

yes i did read that article. it was very helpful. but it just said to spay that anti corrosive stuff on the reel, it didnt say where specifically, do you put it on the bearings?

yes i did read that article. it was very helpful. but it just said to spay that anti corrosive stuff on the reel, it didnt say where specifically, do you put it on the bearings?
You are doing a reel service (clean and lube) each time out. I have regular customers that do their saltwater fishing only once a season and have me service their Saltwater reels within a day or so of returning from their trip. So if you are going brackish more than once a season with your (freshwater reels), you will be servicing them more than once a season it should actually be every trip.
Saltwater Maintenance

After each fishing trip, remove the spool and soak in fresh water, thoroughly rinse the reel body with a light spray of fresh water. Thorough internal cleaning after each saltwater trip is very important to the life and dependability of your reel.

The reason for this is that every time saltwater gets on or into the reel and dries, it leaves a microscopic coating of "crystalline" salt residue. This salt coating will not only attack the components in the reel but will create the same wearing and / or binding effect as sand or dirt.

After the saltwater and saltwater residue is rinsed from the reel, use a clean dry cloth to remove the excess water from the reel and spool. Then, using a good quality lubricant that contains "corrosion inhibitors," apply a light coating on the reel.

I recommend using products designed for fishing reels.

Like the Super Lube® Sportsman's Kit found in the my Supply Shop.

The only thing sprayed into the reel is freshwater...

The really important thing to remember is, after you have sprayed the internal workings rinsing them with fresh water, is make sure you get everything dry!

You will have to disassemble and re-lubricate , but never just spray anything into a reel...

Tight Lines!!!  

dsaavedra, if you really read reelmechanics's posts, what he is telling you very diplomatically is DON'T use those fresh water reels in that brackish water. Unless you service them absolutely correctly, you will ruin them. Why do you think they make salt water specific reels? It's because they have sealed parts and componets that are designed for salt water.

Pencil Pusher,

Thanks........

Guest muddy
Pencil Pusher,

Thanks........

HEY REELMECH: WHAT IS THE PROPER SETTING ON THE DRYER TO DRY EM OFF AFTER THE RINSE CYCLE

And just a note for those who do rinse their reels with the hose.  Be sure to use a light spray, don't spray them like they are on fire.  You don't want to force water into areas it shouldn't be.

Don't you have to use French  bottled water?   ;D

Pencil Pusher,

Thanks........

HEY REELMECH: WHAT IS THE PROPER SETTING ON THE DRYER TO DRY EM OFF AFTER THE RINSE CYCLE

This is one of the best!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!ever