Sign in to follow this  
Jake.

BPS Pro Qualifier Rods

For those of you who have used them, how did you like these rods? I know they are not a "name brand" rod manufacturer, but they seem to have some upside. They have Fuji alconite guides and I have heard nothing but praise about the BPS reel seats. So, What are your opinions?

Thanks,

Jake

For those of you who have used them, how did you like these rods? I know they are not a "name brand" rod manufacturer, but they seem to have some upside. They have Fuji alconite guides and I have heard nothing but praise about the BPS reel seats. So, What are your opinions?

Thanks,

Jake

I bought three and returned one because it had a gouge in the blank I didn't see before I got home. I have two 7' medium baitcasters. I fished them briefly a week or so ago. I used them for cranks and small spinner baits (tried a a few topwaters, too, but didn't score). I only caught 2 or 3 small fish on them. But I like them very, very much. They cast extremely well, and are extremely sensitive. They feel good under load, like you have a lot of control. It just feels better than my All Star IM10s. Some people don't like the PowerHump grip, but I do. I also think the reel seat is the best mass-produced seat in the industry. The guides are top-notch - Fuji Alconite (as you said). And the rod is just pretty to look at with it's marble finished blank.

I got mine on sale for $59.88 each. I think it was a sleeper deal at the normal price of $119. Highly recommend them - while you can ge them. Apparently, BPS will not be carrying them next year.

I have a Johnny Morris Elite and I fished that one briefly a few days ago, too. I didn't catch anything on that rod, but I feel like I could map the lake bottom with its sensitivity.

The BPS extremes I've owned in the past were great rods, very sensitive though they were a little heavier than other rods in the same range.  I'm sure the PQ's are even better.  I prefer the power hump grip and still have 3 BPS crankin sticks which I really love.

I have two 7' medium Pro Qual baitcasters and love them.  Have a Curado Green 100B on one and a ABU Revo SX on the other, both spooled with 12# XL.  They are very sensitive.  Using a 1/2 oz Rat-L-Trap on one and a Norman Baby N on the other.  Have caught a loooot of bass in the last three weeks with these setups.

The rods with these setups cast a country mile and are extremely accurate.  Accuracy equal to a 5'6" or 6' pistol grip rod (or better).

Also, the Fishing Department personnel at the BPS in Hampton VA told me last week that a NEW Pro Qualifier line should come out in Dec or Jan.  It is supposed to have a slimmer (?) reel seat and the cork fore grip will be eliminated.  They said it probably would retail $10 to $20 higher which would put it in the $130 - $140 range.  This was just general chatting with the guys so have no other proof.

Bob

I have 15 Pro Qualifier rods of various lengths and types.  I've sworn by them since their ***.  I will never again fish with anything other than Pro Qualifier or Johnny Morris Elite rods, and I have owned many others.  I have owned G-Loomis, Steez, Kistler LTX, All Star, and Quantum rods.  None of them match the "Bang for the Buck" like the BPS rods do.  

If you hurry you can get the Johnny Morris Elite rods for $10 more at BPS.  I just bought several of them as well as they are the next step up.  The Pro Qualifiers and JM Elite rods are top of the line in my book.  Why pay more when you can have the quality in a rod that is just as good.  

I have a M 6.0 spinning ( already on the decommission yard ). The black is Ok, I hate the way the reel seats and the handle in general.