Sign in to follow this  
ghost

Shimano Saros Vs. Team Daiwa Tierra

Price wise a difference of $15. Both have similar features, but named differently per company.

If comparing both reels in 2500 size....does one spinning reel just better than the other, or both the same?

I know the Tierra is made in China, but not sure where the Saros is made. I do know that the Shimano Strdic's made in Japan.

Have you guys seen or tried any of the two? Who owns either spinning reel, comments on either reel?

I've had my Tierra for an entire season now, and I've caught my 2 biggest fish of the season on the 2000 size.  I like this reel A LOT.

The Saros is pretty new, so it may be a little while before you get some significant feedback on the reel.

But my opinion is that Shimano has been in the game a long time.  Although the Saros is a 'new' reel, it's not Shimano's first entry into the spinning reel market.  They make good reels, and I'm sure the Saros will be no different.

I like my Tierra also. After a season of use I have no complaints. The tierra in my humble opinion almost as nice as my sol for half the price. I don't have any experience with the Saros but if it is Shimano is is going to be good.

Don't know anyone who owns the Saros.  I've read countless posts about fisherman loving the Tierra...including me.

AND ME!  :)

Search this part of the forum for "Tierra" and you will read report after report of a top notch reel for the money.  

Don't know anyone who owns the Saros.  I've read countless posts about fisherman loving the Tierra...including me.

AND ME!  :)

Search this part of the forum for "Tierra" and you will read report after report of a top notch reel for the money.  

Thanks, LBH, you are the one that made me decide to try the tierra.

I picked up a Tierra today, a size 2000.  Feels really nice but....it's a bit noisy, not like the Stradic 1000 that I got last week.  But from what I heard is that Daiwas are a bit more noisy, is that true w/ your Tierra?  I'm brining the Tierra w/ me tomorrow & check out a couple other Tierra 2000 & see the too make the same noise.

I'm going to be switching out the Stradic 1000 (brand new) w/ a new Saros 1000 or 2500 tomorrow.  After reading some of the reviews from people who bought the Stradics, that they were having problems w/ the 2007 models, I'm concerned.  It seems that the Saros answers problems from the Stradic.

I've always bought lesser line spinning reels & lately I've been liking what's been coming out from Shimano & Daiwa.  More of a mid price, better performance spinning reels.

I also picked up last week the Pflueger Supreme 8030MGX spinning reel.  That reel is really smooth & very light.  It holds lots of line & casts quite well.

So I will have 3 better quality spinning reels, that works for me!

my tierra was a little noisy at first too.

after about a month of medium use it quieted right up. love that reel, mine is a 2000 too.

Noisy?  Then again I flush factory packed grease off of the bearings and relube with rocket fuel.  You will be amazed in any reel you buy if you do that before you fish with it.  That grease hinders performance!  

Picked up the Tierra 3000 this summer and have to say it's the best spinning reel I have ever used. Almost no line twists or wind knots. I plan on using it on my 10.5' steelhead rod this season and have no douts that it will hold up to those big powerful trout.

i have the saros 1000 on a imx 6'6" ultra light and its a very nice set-up. the 1000 size is a 750 body with the 1000 size spool. but i don't know anything about the bigger ones. other than playing with them at bass pro on springfield mo.

I checked out the other Tierra's the store had & they pretty much were the same...noisy.  The did have the new 2008 Team Daiwa Advantage.  it's a step up from the Tierra.  I bought that the 2000 series & it is so much smoother & not noisy at all.

Also I traded up the new 2007 Shimano Stradic for the 2008 Saros in 1000 size.  I compared the 1000 Saros to my 750 Sedona & it's the same body size.  The Saros takes 110 yds of 6 lb line, while the Sedona 750 takes 95 yds of 6 lb line.  Not much difference in line quantity.  But the Saros is a very big step up in performance from the Stradic & obviously the Sedona.

It's just too bad that I bought these so late in the season, they won't get a real workout till spring of next year.