Sign in to follow this  
ghost

Abu Garcia Cardinal C3 Spinning Reel

This reel intrigues me.  I missed out on the older models when they were the "in" thing years ago.  I wanted Shimano spinning reels instead.

I'm looking to buying this reel, but wanted some feedback from here, if anyone owns it.  I know it can't compare to the 2008 Team Daiwa Advantage, or the Shimano Saros that I have, but I don't have an Abu Garcia spinning reel.  

Something about the "retro" look makes it appealing.

I have one, and honestly, you would be better off going to Ebay and buying one of the old used ones. 100000% better IMO. You can get the original Cardinal 4 (green,heavy,aluminum) or the "newer" 80's C4 (black, graphite,lighter, bigger skirted spool) Both have fantastic rear drag systems and an awesome worm gear system to boot.

Dad wont use anything but the old green ones, even on his Loomis's, and I prefer the black ones, but Im slowly switching to Shimano's.

BTW, how do you like the Saros, been lookin at them pretty hard.

I like the Saros alot, but look at the Team Daiwa Advantage.  That is one smooth reel, it's actually a bit smoother than the Saros.

What part of Indiana you from?  I am by South Bend & the Michigan border.

Here's a pic of the 3 new reels. The Saros pictured is the 1000, I exchanged it for the 2500.

watermark.php?file=133875&size=1

The most annoying thing about the C3, IMO, is the machined aluminum crank. It's got sharp, squared off edges. Otherwise, the it seems to operate very smoothly. The drag knob looks cheap but after messing with it it seems to be very sturdy. It's definately a niche reel for someone hankering for a little nostalgia.

I am originally from Kokomo area, but I am currently in Muncie at Ball State. ive fished the st. joe up there in South Bend, good smally fishin.