Sign in to follow this  
.dsaavedra.

st. croix premier

i know the triumph is a POS, but what about the premier?

Dicks got a new shipment and i was chckin them out briefly yesterday. how are they?

Have you still not picked out a rod??? ;D ;D ;D

Take some time man,  you have all winter.  I had to razz you a little bit.  :o

They are a good rod for the price.  The advice I would give you is just buy the avid for a little more money.  If your really wanting to go wild buy the legend tournament or legend elite.

Guest muddy

I had several problems with the guide and tip inserts coming loose, on several Premiers i owned. I also do not think the Triumph is a POS, I liked the one i had so much I gave it to a friend who wanted a lighter rod than he had, that is said in sincerity for real!

I do not have experience with the Avids , but I can tell you I went back to my Fenwick HMX's and i love them, for me a much better rod at this level.

dsaavedra,

You need to slow down little buddy, that's a darn harsh statement from someone who is going nuts trying to get as much rod info as you have of late..... :o

How do you know that the Triumph series is a POS...Have you owned one?

I have built quite a few rods on the premier blank, I would say they are St.Croix's best of the entry level rods.

Tight Lines!!!!!

Guest avid

Personally I think the quality and fishabiltiy folks have come to associate with the St. Croix name

starts with the avid line.

My own preference for rods at the price point of the premiere's are the fine samples from Fenwick.

I have never been disappointed with a fenwick rod.

But remember, it's YOUR rod.  You need to be comfortable with it,  you need to be happy with it.

Trust me on this one,,,,, It's better to wait a little while and get the rod you really want, then one

that fits your budget at the moment but fall short of some element that you require.

You seem like a very responsible young man.  I'll bet you have the discipline to save your nickles and dimes this winter and save up

for that special rod.

Good luck to you young fella.

avid  

I still stand firm in believing that the Triumph is a pretty good buy at $70 providing you can cherry pick thru a bunch to find a good one...like at Dicks. The Premier uses the same components but are assembled here state side....that said, I've seen some Premiers that lacked in workmanship as well. Regardless of what I buy, I check for guide alighment and installation (excessive glue and whatnot) and I carefully check the blank for any damage.

Its a shame that you couldn't of gotten in on the clearence priced Avids at Dicks....$80 was a sweet deal!

I have a premier crankbait stick and really like it. But, this was one of the first St. Croix rods I purchased. Now I own an avid and a legend elite. Save a little money and go get an avid. It has a lifetime warranty. But, if you are in need of a rod right now I would go with the premier over the triumph.

I have 3 premiers and I have had no problems and I have fished the crap out of them.

The Triumph is not a POS, the guides may not be as good as the others in the line but

St Croix makes a great product.

maybe i should have stated that i heardthey were a POS.

and maybe i also should have stated that i wasnt planning on buying a premier, i just wanted to know how they were.

i was pretty set on buying the team allstar, but i think i might save my money over the winter (wont be getting much fishing in from here on out) and buy an avid. how much are the new avids gonna cost?

Great Choice!  

The new Avids will run about $10 or $20 more than the older models.