Sign in to follow this  
Boett43

Reel Trouble HELP!!

Im not really up with technical terms soo ill try and explain..I have a cabelas baitcaster and the part that feed the line evenly onto the spool gets stuck on the left or right side and makes all the line bunch up on one side..If anyone could help it would be GREAT..Thanks!

Big B

If you can, find a schematic for the reel.  The thing that goes back and forth that the line goes through is called a "Line Guide".  There is a piece called a "PAWL" that is inside the cap that unscrews on the "Line Guide".  The "PAWL" fits in the groove on the "Worm Gear".  The "Worm Gear" runs from side to side on the reel and it has grooves that go around it in a spiral.  When you crank the handle it drives the Worm Gear and the PAWL causes the Line Guide to go back and forth.  MY "guess" is that the Pawl has broken/worn until it does not seat well in the worm gear groove causing the line guide to stick in 1 spot.

If that isn't it, guess it might be time for Reel Mech if he works on that brand.  Or back to the factory which if still in warranty, that might be where I started or try taking it back where you bought it.  Some stores have very generous return/exchange policies

I don't work on House brand reels, but links_man2 has got it down close to the finish.

That is what everything is called. But the reason the line carriage is sticking to one side or the other and stacking line is because the pawl that he described cannot turn in the line carriage that it rides in. This is caused by dirt in the worm gear grooves getting up into the line carriage and has everything is all gummed up.

:o Fix:: Get a toothbrush and some hot water, I mean real hot, and a simple green mixture, or get some Birchwood Casey® Reel Scrubber Solvent/Degreaser..

Scrub the worm gear and remove the pawl from the line carriage by removing the pawl cap. Scrub the pawl and rinse clean. Dry and replace into the line carriage.

Add a quality reel oil to the small hole in the pawl cap until it is full. Then add 3 drops of oil to the worm gear. You should be good to go.

The only time you need to replace the line carriage pawl is when you can see a very obvious half moon look worn onto the blade.

Just my .02 ¢

Good Luck & Tight Lines!!!!    

Do you know where i could get a replacement pawl im not sure but i think i see the half moon thing you were talking about

You would have to contact Cabela's direct....

Good Luck & Tight Lines!!!!