Sign in to follow this  
BaitMS

Rod Transport (rod tubes)

I have a trip coming up and plan on taking a few rods & reels with me. What type of rod tube do you use, have you used, or would you suggest? I have been looking at the Plano rod tube (model no. 4588). But, the reviews on Basspro were pretty bad. I will be transporting three or four two piece rods. The rods will be taken apart for transport too.

Suggestions?

Visit the hardware store and get a length of pvc tubing in diameter and length desired and a couple end caps.  

Visit the hardware store and get a length of pvc tubing in diameter and length desired and a couple end caps.  

I do the same.

I bought the Bazooka Pro, holds 12 rods and was CHEEEEEAP.  I think it was $44.  It locks, is lighter than PVC and is easy to carry with the handle/strap combo. (keep this in mind when it's time to walk through an airport with all your stuff)

It's lightweight

It locks

Once you have one, you'll have it for the next trip also.

It has plenty of room.  Even if you take only 4 rods, get the big one, you pack clothing around and in between all your rods so they stays nice and safe.  This also leaves room in your suitcase for more tackle!!

;D ;D

Seems I saw a do-it-yourself project recently in Bassmaster on building a rod transportation tube using PVC piping.

I bought the Bazooka Pro, holds 12 rods and was CHEEEEEAP. I think it was $44. It locks, is lighter than PVC and is easy to carry with the handle/strap combo. (keep this in mind when it's time to walk through an airport with all your stuff)

It's lightweight

It locks

Once you have one, you'll have it for the next trip also.

It has plenty of room. Even if you take only 4 rods, get the big one, you pack clothing around and in between all your rods so they stays nice and safe. This also leaves room in your suitcase for more tackle!!

;D ;D

Well said and I agree. I have the model that received negative reviews and could not disagree more with those reviews. I've been to Mexico and back with it and now it serves as a storage in the garage that keep my extra rods out of the Mrs.' sight. A great plus.