Sign in to follow this  
mackkie

Browning Midas rod/reel combo

I tried to do a search here for some comments on this rod/reel combo that BPS is offering (http://www.basspro.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Product_10151_-1_10001_91076_100003001_100000000_100003000_100-3-1)

This is going to be my first baitcaster and I want to get a nice combo but not spend a ton of money.  Please let me know what you guys think about this combo!! Thanks

The only thing that would concern me is the fact that Boron is quite a bit more brittle that graphite, which would have a higher tendency to break on solid hooksets. Although I have played with that stick at BPS and it is very light, and seems to be pretty darn sensitive. So if your not putting that rod under constent stress, you might just fall in love with it. The reel on the other hand I cant tell you about since Ive never used a browning reel. Also for that price range of that combo, I would look into the Shimano Compre series rods and a Daiwa Megaforce with the twitching bar. I think you might be happier with this combo :o

The Browning reel is a BPS branded product and is comparable to other BPS reels in the mid to upper range. The regular price is $149 but has been on sale several times this year for $99. I have two of them. I haven't fished them heavily, so I can't give you a "long term" evaluation. For the time I have used them, I will say that I am pleased with the perfomance. IMHO, the Daiwa Megaforce is in no way a comparable reel. It is a $65 reel everyday and in no way can it match the Browning. I can't give an opinion on the rod since I don't have the new Boron rods. I do have some older boron rods, Browning and other makes, and like the sensitivity and feel.

I dont know about the reel but I have the 6'10'' MH Midas and I feel that it is the lightest most sensitive rod that I own. It is at least as senstitive as my All Star Platinum, and definately lighter. I also have some custom made rods that I feel no difference in sensitivity or weight. For a beginning baitcaster I would highly recommend it the 6'10 is perfect for anything that you could want to use it for, it has a nice medium/soft tip so that you can work weightless soft plastics and work topwaters and it has a good solid backbone for fishing jigs and plastic worms.

As for brittleness I take extremely good care of my rods and reels, and would suggest not mistreating it. Just like any other rod, as long as you arn't slapping it around or overloading it should not break.  

After using it for about a year I give it a 10/10