Sign in to follow this  
CATCHnRELEASE

Good Jig rod?

I do a lot of jig fishing in the summer in some really thick cover and I currently use a Shimano Curado reel with a 7 foot Fenwick Techna AV medium heavy fast action rod with 30lb. power pro line.  While this works pretty well I think I would like a more heavy duty rod.  I want something that is 1 piece (no retractable butt section) 7 foot long, heavy, fast action rod. My price range is about $100-$150 and I am really considering either the Daiwa Light and Tough rod (although I do not think it is fast action?) or the Team All Star Big Boy rod, both of them are 7 foot and heavy action. Does anyone have experience with either of these products or does anyone recomend a good rod that meets the conditions I listed above?

Well, I'm going to toss out my OPINION anyway's. If you do "a lot" of jig fishing, I wouldn't skimp on the rod. Deals on rods like the Loomis MBR844 or 5 can be found. You can have something made for you too. The BCr 855 rod would be another choice. It all depends on how you define "a lot". To me, the rods you use the most, should be your best rods. Even more so, when it comes to certain types of fishing like worms and jigs.

Daiwa TD-V701MHRB Team Daiwa-V

Length: 7' 0 Line Class: 10-20 lb Lure Weight: ¼-1 oz

Thanks for your guys input. I looked into the rods you mentioned. I used the term "a lot" to describe how much I jig fish just because that is what I primarily do when I go fishing. It is the best way to catch bass in the lakes near me and I would have to say I probobly throw a jig about 80% of the time I go fishing in the summer.  I do not fish tournaments and am in school getting my masters degree at the moment so I do not have a lot of money.  They loomis rod looks incredibly nice but I just cant justify spending that kind of money on a rod at this time. Anyway, thanks again for your suggestions.

If jig fishing is your go to bait, and what you fish the most, it's worth while to get a good rod. I fish jigs ALL the time, and I got a GLoomis MBR844C GLX, you can find them for around $250-$300, retail they're $350.

You could get the IMX which can be found for $150-$200 used.

You get a great warranty, and a great rod.

I use a shimano clarus 7' heavy/fast action for my jigging and it has served me well this year.It's under $100 as well.

My goal is to save for the MBR844c but as for the time being my clarus is getting the job done.