Sign in to follow this  
jwc68

rod weight

hey guys. thinking about getting a cranking stick but cant decide on the medium or the medium heavy. i will be throwing shallow cranks medium cranks and lipless cranks  1/4 to 1/2 oz i know the weight rating on both rods will do this but i have heard the medium is a little light thanks

hey guys. thinking about getting a cranking stick but cant decide on the medium or the medium heavy. i will be throwing shallow cranks medium cranks and lipless cranks 1/4 to 1/2 oz i know the weight rating on both rods will do this but i have heard the medium is a little light thanks

What brand???????

In "theory", lure rating is universal. If a rod is rated for X through Y sized lures, it SHOULD work well for them, no matter the brand. Comparing the Loomis number system to another makers M, MH, H system is not a direct comparison, but the lure rating SHOULD be. A 1/4-5/8oz rated rod should work well for what you want. Some brands it could be a ML, others it could be a M, yet others would call it a 3 power. It all depends on the brand.

I like using a medium action rod for the applications that you mentioned. It has a little more whip for longer casts, MH just seems a little stiff for me when using treble hook baits.

I vote the CK662MT. I think the 6'6" rod is a good balance in length for distance and accuracy. IMO, the CK662 would be a great rod for throwing #5 Shad Raps, 3/8 and 1/2 'Traps, and other smaller to mid size cranks.

I vote the CK662MT. I think the 6'6" rod is a good balance in length for distance and accuracy. IMO, the CK662 would be a great rod for throwing #5 Shad Raps, 3/8 and 1/2 'Traps, and other smaller to mid size cranks.

Agree; the only reason I don't like them is their "humpy" handle...Otherways they are good CB rods.

By the way : is there a way to reshape the handle at minimal cost? (The reel seat is bulkier too, to accomodate the hump)Could I just take some sandpaper at it?

jwc68,

i will be throwing shallow cranks medium cranks and lipless cranks  1/4 to 1/2 oz i know the weight rating on both rods will do this but i have heard the medium is a little light thanks
I throw the same baits on a MHM (medium heavy mod tip) proE-series glass rod. Does a great job.

Tight Lines!!!!!  

Guest avid
hey guys. thinking about getting a cranking stick but cant decide on the medium or the medium heavy. i will be throwing shallow cranks medium cranks and lipless cranks  1/4 to 1/2 oz i know the weight rating on both rods will do this but i have heard the medium is a little light thanks

What brand???????

In "theory", lure rating is universal. If a rod is rated for X through Y sized lures, it SHOULD work well for them, no matter the brand. Comparing the Loomis number system to another makers M, MH, H system is not a direct comparison, but the lure rating SHOULD be. A 1/4-5/8oz rated rod should work well for what you want. Some brands it could be a ML, others it could be a M, yet others would call it a 3 power. It all depends on the brand.

I'm glad to see you put emphasis on the "should"   cause even though the weights should be universal,.....they ain't.