Sign in to follow this  
Guest avid

Quality oil for spool bearings

Guest avid

I have just about run out of the red spool bearing oil that Daiwa includes with their baitcasters.

What is a high quality oil that is recommended for the spool bearings.

thankee  

When I had Reel Mech service my reels I had him throw some of his oil on the bill when he sent them back.  Seems like good stuff to me.

Rocket Fuel - yellow, red is a little higher viscosity and lasts a little longer but will slow your spool down more which translates to lost casting distance.

Friction Zero - I have this on a few reels with ceramic bearings installed.  Does not last long but you can achieve crazy casting distances.

I like the bottle applicator that Reel Mechanic sells.  His oil looks like it is just about the same as Daiwa's oil.  Daiwa has two types of oil, the red and a clear oil.  I think they both are the same, the red just has added dye.

Jimzee,

Rocket Fuel - yellow, red is a little higher viscosity and lasts a little longer but will slow your spool down more which translates to lost casting distance.

Because it is made for their imported TG bearings which are made to a closer tolerance than stock MFG bearings.
Friction Zero - I have this on a few reels with ceramic bearings installed.  Does not last long but you can achieve crazy casting distances.
Super light viscosity oil made for use with Ceramics
like the bottle applicator that Reel Mechanic sells.  His oil looks like it is just about the same as Daiwa's oil.  Daiwa has two types of oil, the red and a clear oil.  I think they both are the same, the red just has added dye.
Mine is actually the same as Shimano', had it put into the needle nose bottles.

The Daiwa® oil is the same in both bottles, one with the red oil is supposed to get you use to doing basic lubricating of the reels. The clear was the oil they use to sell to service centers...

Tight Lines All!!!  

For ceramic 5-7 bearings I like it with the TG Rocket Yellow or the Daiwa oil Red/Clear, they perform very similar, for everything else the ReelMech/Shimano oil. Its just last longer.

I think the ABU Silicote Oil is one of the worse things that you can put on your spool bearings....next to sand