Sign in to follow this  
ghost

Abu Garcia Record Round B/C reels

Saw these reels today & they are very nice looking.

Who are using this reel & what are your pro's & con's.

I don't use the Records, but have several other traditional Ambassadeurs. Tried the Records, though.  It's the top-end reel in their venerable Ultracast line.  It has 6 bearings:  2 bearings in the spool, 2 in the level wind, 1 at the shaft end on the brake side, and 1 anti-reverse bearing.  It has an upgraded brake over older ultracast Ambassadeurs.  

Cons:

Heavy

Somewhat dated design

Non-disengaging level wind

Pro:

Rock solid super tough last forever never obsolete Abu goodness

Extremely smooth

Great caster

If you want a more modern round reel, Abu's EXT and EXT Pros are awesome reels.

I have an RCN50 and 60. I love these reels, but they rarely get fished. They are both on inshore/saltwater rods, therefore they only get used about 3 times a year. They are in MY OPINION, the pinnacle of AG's current round reel lineup. I personally dislike the new wave of EXTs, they try to be Morrums but never will be! The guys at tackle tour did a review of the Record, check it out.

I have an RCN 40 that I use on one of my pitching rods that also occasionally gets used for casting over rock piles.  It is narrow enough that I can palm it very easily and it casts great.  Only negative is I got it before they started putting Carbon Matrix drag in this series.  

Also have a RCN 51 that I use for some small swimbaits and musky baits.  Again, casts a mile and this one has the carbon matrix drag.

Somebody listed a non-disengaging levelwind as a con.  I consider that a pro.  It reduces line drag/dig for more consistent casting and a smoother drag.  

What's wrong w/ the carbon matrix drag?

Nothing wrong with it, quite the opposite, I think it is possibly the best drag material out there.  It is better than the old drag.  It just hadn't been introduced on the Record series yet when I bought the 40.  Now they all have it.  

I have an RCN40. What a great reel. It is by far the best Abu Garcia round reel I've ever fished, and I own many.

I have no cons.

Pros: casts light baits well, smooth as silk, 30 IPT retrieve rate.

Falcon

I personally dislike the new wave of EXTs, they try to be Morrums but never will be! The guys at tackle tour did a review of the Record, check it out.

They cast light baits better than any Revo I own, and the brake works a lot better, too.   Abu doesn't call them Morrums, but I've seen that name bandied about when referring to them.  They may not be Morrums, butt hey are fantastic reels in their own right.  

I never used one but have sold several..  Extremely smooth reels though a little on the heavy side.  I imagine the 50/60 series would make great reels for heavier gamefish like stripers or pike.