Sign in to follow this  
Mike-in-WV

Abu Garcia first class people and service.

As some of you already know I was given a Abu Garcia 1003LP by a family friend. It's in the box but no manual. In the mean time I also won the same reel on Ebay so I will have two of them and no manual :;) Yesterday I sent an email to Abu Garcia web site and today they sent me a reply and the manual in a PDF file that I printed out. No questions asked and they said if I needed anything else or had any problems with the reel to let them know. They also stated that it is one of the best lower priced casting reels they had made.

When I tried to buy a manual on Ebay they wanted anywhere from $10.00 to $12.00 plus shipping. Mike

I agree. When I had a Morum, it broke the spring in the spool release thumb button. I called Abu and sent in the reel. After they recieved it... they sent it back next day air at no charge and replaced the spring at no charge! At that time the reel was already about 6-7 yrs old and way out of warranty!

I haven't had to use Abu's customer service department much (which is a good testimony itself), but when I have it's been excellent.   I've never had to pay for a part to repair a reel - even if it was out of warranty.    (Albeit I've never had anything serious or expensive break.)

Just be careful of the rods.  I broke one and they wanted me to pay shipping both ways to get it looked at with no promise to replace it.  I only used the rod twice and it broke the second day using it.  I paid $40  for the rod and with packing it in a tude and shipping it back I was going to be on the hook for $25 more with no promise of a replacement rod, no thanks.  Needless to say I chose to buy a new Tourney Special rod from BPS and will never buy another Abu Garcia product again.  I do still have one of their reels and I pray it does not break because I do not want to deal with them again.    >;)

Just be careful of the rods. I broke one and they wanted me to pay shipping both ways to get it looked at with no promise to replace it. I only used the rod twice and it broke the second day using it. I paid $40 for the rod and with packing it in a tude and shipping it back I was going to be on the hook for $25 more with no promise of a replacement rod, no thanks. Needless to say I chose to buy a new Tourney Special rod from BPS and will never buy another Abu Garcia product again. I do still have one of their reels and I pray it does not break because I do not want to deal with them again. >;)

Did that rod break while you were fighting a fish or what? Mike

I haven't had to use Abu's customer service department much

X2.

I have five Morrums, a Revo, a Torno, and a couple of C3's and I have never had a issue.

I believe I had an extremely large catfish on my line and he went under cover and I tried to pull him out and the rod snapped just below the point where the two pieces of the rod connect together.  The spot I was fishing in has catfish in it over 30lbs.  This was a medium heavy 6'6 rod and it had 14lb line on it and it was rated for a max of 14lb line.  So much for the rating, in my opinion the line should have snapped before the rod.  I chalked this up to experience and I will now only buy rods that I can return in person or ones that have a better warranty.

So much for the rating, in my opinion the line should have snapped before the rod.

FYI- The actually breaking point of most monofiliments is actually higher than what is stated on the package.  There are many occasions where people think they have a line class record but their aplication gets denied because the lines were stronger than the rating.  

Now i'm not trying to stick up for Abu, I agree that it shouldn't have broken, but I've never cared for most of the rods that they sell here in the states.

I just replaced it with a Bass Pro Shop Tournament Special 7 foot medium heavy with a line rating from 8 to 17lbs.  I used it last Saturday and love the action on it.

FWIW, I have gotten the same type of service from both Shimano and Daiwa when I've purchased open box reels, used reels, etc.