Sign in to follow this  
Valascus

David Fritts Signature Series, 4.7:1 or 5.2:1?

With as much as I throw cranks, I have recently picked up a medium BPS Crankin' Stick. I am going to pair it with a David Fritts Signature Series reel, but I am not sure on whether I should get a 5.2:1 or a 4.7:1. I know when fishing cranks, slower is better. However, other than being a slower reel than the 5.2:1, are their any other advantages to having a reel that is that slow on the retrieve? Is the 4.7:1 better for throwing larger, deeper diving cranks than the 5.2:1 or does it really make a difference? Any advice would be appreciated.

Guest muddy

I just purchased the 4.7:1 , based on somethings said here by 5bl and what Fritts talked about on a Rapala DT segmrnt of a DVD I viewed. I will post something after I get to use it for a while. Out of the box, it's a nice reel. Only Non- Pflueger I own 8-)

I just picked up my second 4.7:1 this past week. I got it for $50 at the BPS outlet here in GA. I love them.

How well do these reels handle light baits?   Can you cast a 1/4 oz or 3/8 oz bait with them?   I'm still considering one, too.  

The guy at BPS let me take the side plate off to see the brake, and let me fit it to a rod.  They seem really slick.  The spool spins forever, but since is so deep and heavy I'm concearned about how it would handle light cranks.  

It's made in Korea (all my Korean reels are top notch).  Quality seemed outstanding.

I went to a seminar by OT Fears yesterday, he recommended a 4.7 reel. He said he has watched the bass in the Berkley tanks for hours and realized they hit cranks from the side more than from the back. The slower reel and a fairly limber rod gives the fish a better chance to get the bait in its mouth.