Sign in to follow this  
bassmedic46

reel handle

I am right handed and I retrieve w/ my Left hand on spinning and baitcasting because I feel my right hand is a lot stronger so I can set the hook better and control over the rod in different fishing techniques. Besides I cast w/ my right hand/arm also.

Go to a tackle store put the reel that you want to look at on a rod and play w/ it for a while and see which one feels more natural to you.

I do however use right hand retrieve for my conventional reels for saltwater because after setting the hook all I have to do is point up the rod a little bit and wrench in the fish.

Thank you, I do a lot of shore fishing and have had a lot of people tell me a lot of different things. Thats whats good about this site I get advice from knowledgeable people

I am righthanded but I retrieve left handed for both spinning and baitcasting reels. Its just more comfortable for me and I cast better. The only thing bad about fishing lefthanded is that some baitcasters do not come with left hand retrieve models.

It should be on the side that you are more comfortable reeling in with.  For me, being right handed, I have a baitcaster with the handle on the right side.  For baitcasters, I have to switch the handle to where the handle is also on the right.  For me, it just keeps it more consistent.  But its whatever you are more comfortable with.  

At the stores though, I notice that the spinner gear handles are usually on the left for right handed people.

Vic

Thats what I keep seeing, and being new I don't want to start off with 2 many bad habits

I am righthanded but I retrieve left handed for both spinning and baitcasting reels. Its just more comfortable for me and I cast better.

+1

I CANNOT reel with my right hand...