Sign in to follow this  
d.hark

Backlashes

I am no expert with baitcasters to say the least. I get a handful each tiime I go out usually cause I try to cast to hard or too far. But my question is. I have a Citica spooled with braid and a Steez spooled with Sunline flouro. Now I took the Steez out the other day for the first time since I got it and got a couple minor backlashes and man they run way deeper than any backlash I got on the Citica with braid. I had to pull and pull to get it out. It wasnt that it was all tangled, the line just comes real loose a long ways down. With the braid usually a few picks and a few pulls and its out! Is this common with Flouros and monos over Braids? This is the only Flouro I have ever used and I know its clainmd to be the best among alot of you guys. And I will say I was very surprised at how nice it casted and felt. Very managable felt almost like mono. I had it i my mind that flouro was stiff and wiry but this is not the case with this line. But the backlashes are kinda a PIA over braid if you ask me

Maybe this will help........make a long cast, then peel of a few more lenghts of line, then wrap some tape around the spool, this will prevent the backlash from digging in too deep.

It also sounds like you don't have the reels adjusted right or your not stopping the spool in time. You may just need a little more practice too. Hard to say without watching you. I just started using a casting reel a few weeks ago after not using one for a long time. It took awile to get the hang of it again but it was worth it.  ;), Mike

welcome to the world of fluorocarbon...I can't manage it myself half the time.Now there are certain brands that will fly off the spool less,but most of the time i strip one or 2 feet to get the loops out.So i use it with mainly jigs or T-rigs as it's a good idea to pull out a little line for a vertical fall.

Don't have that problem with mono.

I'm sure my minor backlashes aren't just the fluoro it's on my part as well. ;D

It also sounds like you don't have the reels adjusted right or your not stopping the spool in time. You may just need a little more practice too. Hard to say without watching you. I just started using a casting reel a few weeks ago after not using one for a long time. It took awile to get the hang of it again but it was worth it. ;), Mike

Oh I certainly need more practice but usually manage just fine. I have the brakes at about half and always adjust the tension knob so the lure falls and the spool stops. Just want to know really if it is common that the backlashes in Flouros backlashes tend to run deeper than braids.  The flouro seems alot jumpier of the spool and maybe thats why it tends to go deeper

Heya, I find that I have the same problem with flouro...It's all about the thumb control, if I don't slow it down gently with my thumb...I won't really backlash per se but it just seems like the line will get loose around the spool deeeeep down.  

I find that Braid doesn't have this problem at all, and I don't need to use my thumb as much.  Mono is kind of like the mid way point between the two.  It'll do the same thing as flouro in the beginning but once it "breaks in" (the only way I can describe it) it'll act almost like braid where you won't need as much thumb control....worst comes to worst I use the tape method but find that it leaves sticky stuff on my line afterwards =/

yes backlashes are worse with fluro due to it's springy characteristics and braid it limp so it doesn't jump up as bad.