Sign in to follow this  
Quinn

Anti reverse problem on Bait cast reel in cold weather

I have Pinnacle platinum pluss LP100C reel that works very well for me but when I am in very cold (15 deg.) weather the anti reverse will not work properly, if I turn back on the handle it will catch after one or two turns  or not at all untill I reel in and press the button and re-engage the handle.  I had another reel that did the same thing and took it back, but the new one does it too.  It works fine when I get it back inside.  Is this because it is a cheap reel, or is it common for a bait cast reel and its construction????

I'll take a stab at this, and Reel mechanic can come along and correct me if I'm wrong.

The lube in the IAR ( instant anti-reverse ) bearing is stiffening up under the extreme cold conditions. This prevents the rollers from moving properly in their slots, which prevents them from engaging when reversed. Not much you can do about that. My advice is, don't mess with it. I've taken an IAR bearing apart to clean and relube twice, and screwed it up, twice. I won't be making that mistake again. Proper operation of this part is very dependent upon the correct amount of the correct lube, and I don't seem to be able to get one or the other correct.

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it. Until RM comes along and sets me straight, that is.

Quinn,

ghoti has a good explanation of what is happening. The original grease that is used in the one-way bearing pack is getting to thick to work (reason for the problem clearing itself when inside). I took a leason from Daiwa® and Shimano® spinning reels (their IAR's don't use grease) and, changed things with the baitcasting reels I service, and am now using a light oil swab in the one-way bearing packs (no more grease in the IAR's). You will need to fully clean the one-way bearing pack out, and, do a light oil swab then re-assemble and the problem will be corrected.

Good Luck & Tight Lines!!!

Thanks for the tip RM. I have the two IAR's that I screwed up, stashed away in the junk drawer. I ordered new ones to replace those. So now that I know what to do to make them work properly, I'll have a couple of spares.

Have I said before that it's really nice to have somebody here who truly knows what they're doing?

Thanks for being here.

Cheers,

GK

Thank you.  I got this reel to learn how to use a bait cast reel so I didn't spend alot on it,  I will try to lube it when I upgrade (or get another of the same) untill then I will stick to spinning reels when fishing, I was practicing in the yard during a sleet storm.  

Quinn, you are one dedicated numbskull. ;D ;D ;D

Practicing casting in the sleet. That's a new one, my friend.

I'd do it too, if i had a new reel to play with. ;)

If the lake I fish on in this weather wasn't froze (usually the geese keep it moving) I would have been fishing not practicing.  I have got some "that guy is nutts" looks as cars drive by. Other wise I do try to fish Thomas Hill Res. where the water is warm but temp. can freeze line and have an effect on the working of my reel.

Skull is not numb!! I wear a hat  ;) and a hood  ;D

If I was fishing in 15 degree temps, the IAR wouldn't be the only thing "not working correctly"

half the joints in my body would lock up.   ;D

Hey Quinn, I'll tell you what I did a few weeks ago. I'd finished upgrading two of my Millionaire reels. Extra bearings, new TD-Z handles, polished all moving parts, etc. And I couldn't stand it.

Went out to my favorite little lake, tied on a 5/0 EWG hook, rigged a Senko knock-off, and started casting it accross the ice. Had to make about a dozen casts with each reel. Was just waiting for some funny guy to come along and ask if I had any bites.

Not a numb skull either. Had my hat on.

Cheers,

GK

I fish for dogs when I practice, I tie dog treats on and aim under my propane tank the dogs have fun..

Does that make me a Redneck ??