Sign in to follow this  
.Paxamus.

What do yall think of the Cumaras?

Hey guys,

I am thinking about getting an new Cumara for a jig and trig rod.  I have a flipping stick that I use for flipping and pitching, but at 7'8" it is a little big for casting jigs and  trigs, what do yall think of the new Cumaras?

Though I've fished several years this is only my third year bass fishing, so please feel free to discount my opinion of a Cumara. In addition to a Cumara, I fish three Daiwa L&T rods, and a Carrot Stix, which are the basis for comment. The Cumara is a 7'2" MH-f that I fish jigs, drag and bounce soft plastics, and have even thrown 1/2 oz spinners and chatters. I've swapped out different reels on the rod: Daiwa Advantage HSTA, Steez, Venito; Revo STX; and Pfleuger Supreme. The rod feels good, and casts well in all combinations.

My likes: Rod is very sensitive; easily feel bait bumping limbs, stumps, rocks, bottles, cans, etc. Very light and can be fished most all day with little fatigue. Unlike the Carrot Stix, the Cumara grip is a good length. On very cold days, the foam grip actually seems to retain some heat. It gets pretty darn hot here in NC, so I suspect the foam grip won't be getting sweat slick in the summer months. The hook keeper in the bottom of the grip is a nice little feature. The IM-10 blank should be plenty strong, but I can't speak to the issue as I've only fished the rod since December, and a 6 pounder has been my best. And with a little humor, let me add that this rod just looks MEAN!

Dislikes: If you use a lot of attractants, the location of the hook keeper can slop up the grip. The rod's price; since buying mine at $20 below average retail, I've learned that a few shops sell the rod around $150-160. Though the IM10 blank has a lot of backbone, it is VERY brittle. I mailed my rod back to Shimano with a snapped tip for replacement.

Again, this is only the opinion of a newbie.

smcentee, great comments.  Since the Carrot Stix and L&T are closer to my preferred price range, do you find the Cumara offers enough added sensitivity or other benefits to up my budget?  Thanks!

smcentee, great comments. Since the Carrot Stix and L&T are closer to my preferred price range, do you find the Cumara offers enough added sensitivity or other benefits to up my budget? Thanks!

To the best of my recall, the LTX carrot stick is available in a M, and A MH. Some shops price them around $120 as a lost leader (hot item at low price) which is not far from the L&T rods. Daiwa offers a wider range of actions with the L&T than e21 does for the entry level carrot stix. One thing hard to beat with e21 is the lifetime OTC warranty. I have been known to snap a rod in a car door, or trunk lid.

In my inexperienced hands, I find the Cumara and Carrot Stix to be about the same sensitivity. I fish the bottom with the Cumara, and bump crankbaits with the Carrot Stix. Both are more sensitive than the Daiwa L&T. If I were to rate the three on a "bang for buck", I'd go 1. L&T, 2. Carrot Stix LTX, and 3 on the Cumara.

Please do keep in mind - I'm a newbie with the bass. Many folks here with more experience may have a totally different opinion, and I would tend to lean more towards their comments than mine.

Thanks smcentee, since I am just a casual fisherman, your level of experience is perfect for the feedback I was seeking.  My skills and sensitivities are not that fine tuned...

At least I don't feel so compelled to run out for the Cumara, although it does look great.

The L&T and Carrot Stix (along with AllStar ASR and Crucial) are in the range that are probably more suitable to my needs (Wallet ;) )I'm glad to hear that you think they are better Values compared to the more expensive Cumara.  Cheers!!

Thanks smcentee, since I am just a casual fisherman, your level of experience is perfect for the feedback I was seeking. My skills and sensitivities are not that fine tuned...

At least I don't feel so compelled to run out for the Cumara, although it does look great.

The L&T and Carrot Stix (along with AllStar ASR and Crucial) are in the range that are probably more suitable to my needs (Wallet ;) )I'm glad to hear that you think they are better Values compared to the more expensive Cumara. Cheers!!

As a P.S., let me say that I've also lost fewer crankbaits since fishing with the Carrot Stix, which speaks to the greater sensitivity.