Sign in to follow this  
Basshole18

Flipping Stick/Frog Rod from a small boat???

I need a heavy or extra-heavy rod for frogging/flipping/smaller swimbaits/DEEP jigs, DEEP c-rigs/heavy cover general purpose. (I know it's a lot to ask out of one rod but I am limited as to how many rods I can fit into the boat between me and my partner) Problem is...I fish from small craft. A 10 ft. Pelican Bass Raider pontoon boat to be exact. My question is does anyone here fish from a small boat similiar in size to this and use a 7'6"+ flipping stick? And if so do they have any problem with room, i.e. hooking your partner or being inhibited during casting. I am looking at 2 rods:

Kistler Magnesium TS Jig N Toad special extra heavy 7'0" rated 1/4-1 1/2oz.

Kistler Graphite Plus Telescopic Flipping Stick 7'6" rated 1/4-1 1/2oz. (Since this is telescopic I figured it'd help in the small boat).

Which rod do you think would be better?

I fish from my pontoon and even my float tube with my flipping stick with no problem. You shouldn't have any either.

I would go w/the telescopic one, but.....

No matter which rod you choose, be careful on the hooksets. Not much to worry about with a swing and miss on the frog, but a 3/4 oz. jig coming back at you and your partner from close range can cause a problem :( (I've got the scar on my forehead to prove it :-[)

Telescopic won't help with

hooking your partner or being inhibited during casting.

It's 7'6" when you are fishing.  I only suggest them if it's mandatory for storage.  I have one suggestion if you buy a +T rod... don't spend a lot.  Every one I have ever owned has broken in the same spot...  where the butt hits the rod when collapsed (just below the butt guide)  it will wear a circular groove, just like a tubing cutter and then it just breaks when loaded.  On the onse i make, I wrap that area and double finish it to add protection.

I don't know those rods but have seen threads on the Kistler jig & toad rod on this site... most were very pleased.  I haven't noticed the other mentioned, which tells me something...  

Either one would be a good choice, just depends on how well it feels in your hands.  The telescoping rod would help for storage wise but I'd have to say for your situation I'd go w/ the 7ft.