Sign in to follow this  
soccplayer07

revo stx vs. sx

I own a revo stx and a revo sx. I swear the stx is much smoother and casts much further than the sx. Is this true or merely placebo??? Thinking about trading in the sx

Almost no diference for me, though I do like the STX better.  

How are the brakes set? They will impact the smoothness and casting abillity of the reels.

The STX has a coated pinion shaft and the infini spool both of which are designed to improve casting; this is basically the differences between the SX and the STX.

I'm the most hardcore Revo fan on these boards and I didn't like any of the SX's I had. I still own Premier's, STX's and S's.....and thats it. Won't ever buy another SX.  

I'm another hardcore Revo fan and I really like my SXs. I think they are great reels. But I won't buy another either because I like the STX better.

I wouldn't be suprised to see the SX dropped from the line, the S price staying the same, and the STX price dropping to $150 to stay competetive with the new Curado. I'm also betting a slower speed cranking Revo will be introduced this fall. Heck, you can already buy slower gears for them.

That reminds me, 5bass, how are those slower Revo Ss doing? The one your changed the gears on.

And as far as who is harder-core Revo, I'll just say "I was Revo when Revo wasn't cool."  :(

I've got 1 Premier and 3 STXs.  I bought a SX last and was not too happy with it because grinded when I reeled it. I realize this was an issue with that reel and not the whole SX line, but I never had any of those problems with the STX.  I replaced that SX with another STX.  I did notice the SX didn't cast as smoothly as the STXs.

I think I like the STXs even more than the Premier.  

I agree with Micro.  If I wanted to buy a cheaper Revo to use as a beater I'd go all the way down to the S.  

If you buy your STX on ebay you can get it in the 160 range.  Which makes it an incredible deal on a quality reel.

My SX was awful and started grinding and became uncastable withing 10 uses. Really crappy compared to the STX. I love the STX.

What does everyone think of the premier? Is it worth the extra loot? I love light reels.

IMO I don't see the STX dropping in price unless a new reel is introduced that changes the tides on reel sales.  REVO has been creaming the competition (something Abu is not used to when it comes to Low Pro reels) and I don't really see a reason for them to drop the prices especially when everything in the world today is increasing in price.  Once again JMHO

I just got another SX after swearing them off two weeks ago.  This one is not as smooth as my STXs as well.  What is it about the SX?  This one is not as bad as my first SX and you can only feel slight grinding when reeling in a bait that puts pressure on the reel like a deep diving crank bait.

I think it may be luck of the draw when it comes to these reels. I have an S, SX, and STX...and the SX is by far the smoothest of them all. It reels smooth, casts the farthest, and is just an all around great reel. I have an STX as well though, and it grinds slightly when you reel it, which is enough to make me use my SX more than i use the STX. So it sounds like from the previous posts that it may just be luck of the draw.

I now have three SX's and have not had any problems at all. They are by far the smoothest reels I have ever owned. Actually, I would even go so far as to say these reels have revolutionized my fishing, because I could never pitch or flip with as much accuracy before I bought them. I have caught my three biggest fish this year pitching into tight spots that I wouldn't have tried before I bought the SX.

I'm on my 3rd SX now.  First two grinded like hell and took em' back.

I have noticed that I can pitch further with the SX than the STX... dunno what that's about.

I have 2 SXs.  In fact, I've owned my SXs longer than any of my other Revos.  They are very smooth and I've never had a moments trouble with them.  One thing I've noticed, though, is that all of my Revos came virtually dry of oil.  All of my other Abu reels seemed adequately lubircated, but I couldn't detect any oil at all on a few of my Revos.  So, I've opened them all up and lubricated them and they are slick as glass.

Since I have 8 Revos (and 2 EXT Pros and 3 C4s), I have been itching to try another brand.  I've tried Shimano (1 Curado BSF, 2 Cardiffs, 1 Spirex, and 2 Shimano 200DHSVs).  I've never been completely pleased with any Shimano reel.  I have a Johnny Morris Elite baitcast reel which I really like.  But I've been wanting something else.  I went and looked at Daiwa Zillions tonight at BPS.  I had the saleperson bring me three.  They all seemed meticulously made, but every one of them had significant resistance when cranking the handle - like the cast control knob was tightened down way too far.  The spool spun fine in free-spool mode, but cranking them took effort.  Even after backing the cast control knob off, messing with the drag, etc, they were still too tight.  Maybe they were just built tight and would "break in."  But, to date, I haven't been as satisfied with any LP reel in the STX's price range as I have been with the STX and whole Revo line.  

Maybe my 2 bad SXs were too dry as well?  My 3 STXs and Premier all came from Abu as smooth as glass and each of those have had significant amounts of time being used on the water.  But the SXs were grindy within an hour of use.    

When I exchanged my SX today I tried those Zillions as well.  Nice reels, very light.  But they look like something from a sci-fi movie.  

Ok I'm going to eat crow over this one.  I finally got a SX and S that are as smooth as my STXs.  I swear I can fast further with the SX with less effort than with the STX.  

I might even go as much to say a properly lubed SX is as good as a STX.  

wish that worked for mine...exchanged mine for another stx