Sign in to follow this  
KvD

Newbie to Baitcaster.....

Ok guys lets hear what good decent set up for a beginner to casting reels/rods... ive never thown a baitcaster in my life and i want to learn how.. ive always used spinning gear... whats a good set up i can buy rod/reel/line that wont break the bank acct. but it's reliable and i can use it as my skills mature? i dont really like long rods but im open to suggestions... i also believe in quantum produts never had one complaint out of any of them ive ever owned... but open for suggestions on any brand...

Thanks alot guys in advance... 8-)

Alex

Ok here is what I would do if I were you, based on personal experience with these products. You said you were a fan of Quantum. If you want a great inexpensive reel, go with a Quantum AC500CX Accurist. They are around 60-70 bucks. I have 3 of them and have had them for a couple years, and have absolutely NO complaints about them... and I fish my equipment HARD. They feel great, they are super smooth, great anti-backlash, and durable as an anvil. If you want to try other reels, the ones that come to mind are... Abu Garcia Revo S, about 89.00. Bass Pro Shop Rick Clunn Signature series, around 79.00, Bass Pro Shop Extreme baitcaster, also around 79.00. All of those are great reels in my experience. Ok as for line, I would suggest Trilene XT. Absolutely one of the best lines made, and won't break the bank. You can also pick it up at Wal-Mart! My favorite line is Sufix Elite or Sufix Siege. Those are just a little more expensive. For a rod, if you don't want to spend a fortune, go to the acadiasports website and get the "buy one get one free" deal on the "F" series rods. I suggest 6'6" length. Great, durable rods for a great price. I think they are 50.00 for 2 of them. These 25.00 rods really do perform like some of my other 100.00 rods. Hope this helps you out some. I have a couple Quantum AC500CX Accurist reels on Acadia F series rods that just WONT break! Solid as a rock.

-Brad  

hmmm now what color do i want the gold is ten bucks cheaper at 60 bucks than the red/blue at 70 bucks... i think ill deal with gold lol...

also thinking about thos rod to put it on...

http://www.basspro.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?storeId=10151&catalogId=10001&langId=-1&partNumber=59070&hvarTarget=search&hvarAID=&cmCat=10003927

i definately want a MH rod but would i like a 6' like all my spinning rods or would i like the 7' better?

im a newbie on this stuff so i need help...

Alex

That rod will work fine for you. I own one. The only reason I recommended the Acadia rods is because you can get 2 of them for 50 bucks, and although it sounds too good to be true, I can attest that they perform as good as some of my 100.00+ rods. They are a great value. I have yet to break one. No, they don't have the feel of a Loomis, but they arent 200 bucks apiece either. They are just very good, very durable rods.  You would think I work for them or something but I don't. Check out their website before you buy a rod. Read about the F-series rods. If you are going to be bass fishing, I would not recommend any length less than 6'6". There are many reasons for this. Increased casting distance, more reach when parallelling the bank, etc. 6'6" is the perfect length to me. But remember, all of this is personal opinion. Other guys may have other ideas for ya. Just giving you my opinion. Good luck! :)

So do you have one of these reels in gold by chance? lol and so i think im going to get that rod in 6'10" MH or 7'0"... but i will read up on the acadeasport rods for a little while... i just wanna make sure its not some gaudy flashy gold thats ugly LMAO... but for 60 bucks i dont guess i could go wrong on it...

Alex

I would go with the Extreme Combo or the quantum Code/PT Energy Rod Combo. The Code is a decent reel but the PT Energy Rods are the best I have ever fished in this price range.

ok so out with the bass pro rod, im buying the acadeasport rods... the F series... going to buy the casting and get a free spinning to try out... lol plus its cheaper for 2 of the acadea's than it is for one bass pro rod...

Alex

well i have found one bad thing about these buy one get one feel rods.... no MH in a 6'0 spinning.... oh well gonna try a 6'6"....

Alex

well today im going to look at a tackle shop and see what they have just to see...

Alex

There are alot more suggestions to be made if you can just give us a little more of an idea of what your willing to spend on a combo, 75,100,150?

i will go $175 max for the combo but dont really want to spend that much but im willing to pay for good equipment... perferibly a quantum reel and open to suggestions on the rod...

i will wait a few weeks before i make my purchase just to see what other suggestions are out there... 8-)

Alex

Im not a Quantum guy so im not in the position to suggest Quantum reels, but i can suggest some rods. For 89.99$ you can get a Shimano Compre which i have and love. If you can find a Fenwick HMG on Amazon.com they sometimes have them for 100$ even and thats a very good deal, regularly 129.99$.There is Allstar rods which are also good rods for around 90$. Just make sure you do your research before you buy one that way you wont see something else a week later and be disappointed. Good luck.

P.S- CHECK EBAY!

well orange is my favorite color and im always admired those carot stix but thats definately out of my price range for now lol....

and as for ebay, ive been burned a few times and ebay did nothing for me so i will never use them again....

Alex

is 110 bucks a good price for a St.Croix Premier Casting Rod, PC66MHF  6'6" MH one piece rod?

Alex

KvD, I also took advantage of this sale and ordered one.  I would have recommended this but it almost seems too good to be true and wanted to receive mine in the mail before I recommended it to anyone. I have not owned an Energy but a good friend of mine owns 4 and he fishes them hard, and tells me that it is one of the finest reels he has ever fished with.

dawson thats for the reply, i too am about to order one and since im new at this do i need the burner 7:1 ratio or the speed 6.3:1 ratio....

this will be a worm, crankbait, buzz bait, and spinner bait reel...

Alex