Sign in to follow this  
RogerWaters

Carrot Stix, Shimano Castaic, Persuader Echip jig......

I took my Daiwa magforce reel back to BPS today and swapped it for a Shimano Castiac 201SF. I felt the extra $110 would be money well spent. When I got home my Carrot Stix 7'-3" MH casting rod was waiting for me in a shipping tube on the porch. I spooled the reel w/30# Power Pro braid and a 30" 15# fluoro leader, tied on a 3/8 oz. Persuader Echip jig w/a NetBait trailer and took it down to the local pond to try out all 3 for the first time. First, the reel is great, as are all Shimano reels, IMO. The rod is very light and sensitive, as advertised. I could feel the claws on the trailer vibrate as I yo-yoed the jig through the weeds. I hit 2 smaller bass, both of which I could feel inhale the jig. The rod was stiff enough to bury the hook but had some give during the fight, just what I would consider for a MH rating. I will have to fish both the rod and reel more extensively before I can really comment on them, but so far I like this combo, ALOT. The Echip jig is well made but the real test will come in colored water, where I plan on fishing it behind a regular jig, to see if the fish can find it easier.

Oh yeah, I did hit one more bass before I left. I could feel this one breathing on the jig before he inhaled it :).

post-14811-13016292538_thumb.jpg

Nice bass.  You are going to love that rod.

Nice! I have been considering getting a Carrot for awhile now. Still not sure on if I am gonna get one, but I might.

Nice fish!  I ordered the 7'3" MH carrot on sunday from Tackle Warehouse and am anxiously anticipating a rod tube on the porch tomorrow!  Can't wait to try it out!  Hopefully I'll catch one as big as yours with the new stick!

have been out a few times with the 7' M LTX spinning carrot stix and have loved it so far. The weight is great and sensitivity is great. I have used with cranks and jigs and have had no problem and have felt everything. Just my opinion. Brought in a 4lbs from 7ft on an evo jig and the rod felt good and did what its supposed to do.

That and i have to go fishing in the south and get some lunkers. Our state  record here is 11lbs in Wisconsin you guys should realize how lucky you are :)

I gave the Carrot a real workout today and it didn't let me down. I fished with it all day and was able to boat several nice bass. I can't think of anything I don't like about this rod. I like the feel and action of it, I even like the hook-keeper design and location. The Castiac reel is very nice too. I didn't fish the Pursuader Echip jig today, but I will tomorrow in a different lake with stained water.......

post-14811-130162925385_thumb.jpg

I fished the Persuader Echip jig yesterday in muddy water. I was fishing the 5/8 oz. model in black and blue w/a black and blue netbait trailer. I landed 5 decent keepers and lost a few others. Twice I had the claws ripped off my trailer while I was reeling in, which made me think maybe the fish could track down the jig do to the echip :-/. I like the jig despite the echip technology, but I don't think I can justify the extra cost without more research being done first, which means I'll have to get out and fish with it more 8-).

On another note, I fished on 4 different lakes this weekend (fri, sat, sun, mon) and I noticed very little boat traffic and very little camp/cabin/shore activity. The weather was real nice all 4 days and these are normally busy lakes, especially on a holiday weekend. As much as I enjoy the solitude, I hope this trend doesn't continue all summer, for the sake of the seasonal businesses.......