Sign in to follow this  
nralover

Affordable crankbait rod?

What are the attributes of a good crankbait rod? I already have a 7' graphite medium heavy rod for general purpose. Now I would like to get a crankbait rod to complement my arsenal. I'd like to keep it affordable, say under 100.00....

If you're into fiberglass rods for crankin' like I am, and have been for years and years.....look at the Browning Silaflex rods at BPS....you can get 3 for $105 bucks. Very good crankin' rods for the money.

Kick some bass.....crank with glass!  :)

The Shimano Compre crankbait rods are nice.  They retail for $99.99.  They have the same TC4 composite blank as the more expensive Crucual crankbait rod.  They make a 7' medium and a 7' medium heavy.   If you fish large deep divers ( like DD22's)  get the medium heavy otherwise get the medium.  I have the medium Crucial medium crank bait rod and I have been very pleased with it.  The Compre should not be much different.  You also get the best rod warranty in the industry.

As far as attributes, most crankbait rods have at least  some fiberglass in them which makes them more flexible than an all graphite rod.  This will keep you from pulling baits out of the fishes mouth when you set the hook.  

If you're into fiberglass rods for crankin' like I am, and have been for years and years.....look at the Browning Silaflex rods at BPS....you can get 3 for $105 bucks. Very good crankin' rods for the money.

Kick some bass.....crank with glass!  :)

My first fly rod was a "Silaflex" and what little cranking I do is on a Lamiglas all fiberglass custom rod. I have found it to be an excellent spinnerbait rod as well. Glass rods are highly under rated, in my opinion for moving baits that don't require 'super' sensitivity. Hook a big fish on a glass rod and it's hard not to land it. JMHO

Ronnie

The Shimano Compre crankbait rods are nice.  They retail for $99.99.  They have the same TC4 composite blank as the more expensive Crucual crankbait rod.  They make a 7' medium and a 7' medium heavy.   If you fish large deep divers ( like DD22's)  get the medium heavy otherwise get the medium.  I have the medium Crucial medium crank bait rod and I have been very pleased with it.  The Compre should not be much different.  You also get the best rod warranty in the industry.

As far as attributes, most crankbait rods have at least  some fiberglass in them which makes them more flexible than an all graphite rod.  This will keep you from pulling baits out of the fishes mouth when you set the hook.  

They also have a 6'6'' Medium/Med. Fast and a 6'6'' Medium Heavy/Med. Fast. X2 on the warranty comment, they will replace it without question. I do not own the Crankbait model but i do have a 7' M/F and it is a nice rod.

I bought 2 BPS crankin stiks this year. I got the 7'6" MH abn 7'6" M. I honestly really like these rods. And I don't ever go cheap with my gear. I own Gloomis rods, Daiwa Cielo rods, Steez, etc. I took a chance with these because they were on an internet sale. They were only like $25 bucks each. And i've caught alot of fish on them and they handle really well. I was VERY surprised

The BPS crankin stick is on sale for $39.99 online.  I think that i am going to pick up a 7' med for my jerkbaits.

i like the David Fritts Crankin Rods American Rodsmith makes them i have 3 of them and also the BP Crankin Stick is not to bad. Fenwick makes a good one to.