Sign in to follow this  
bigmountaineer

Line suggestions

Hello everyone, I had a question on what type of line I should use.

I have Abu Garcia Revo S baitcaster w/a abu garcia 6' medium pole. I have used flurocarbon lines Pline/Berkley Transition Vanish.

I fish mainly small ponds and some lakes. I fish southern ga where vegetation and grass is everwhere. I was thinking of switching to braid.

Would that be an ok switch? I'm tired of the flurocarbon at 12 lb test it feels so weedeater like like. What does everyone reccomend I do and what type of braid is good?

Thanks,

If you're set on switching to braid, Suffix is awesome, and Power Pro is also liked by many.

Depending on water clarity, you might also want to consider tying a fluorocarbon leader.

If you're set on switching to braid, Suffix is awesome, and Power Pro is also liked by many.

Depending on water clarity, you might also want to consider tying a fluorocarbon leader.

See that was my next question. Since I do a lot of worm,lizard, and plastics. Will the braid be a huge disadvantage or not? I hope not as far as visibly goes.

See that was my next question. Since I do a lot of worm,lizard, and plastics. Will the braid be a huge disadvantage or not? I hope not as far as visibly goes.

Different guys will tell you different things.

Some live by a leader, and others refuse to use a leader.

Some will say line diameter plays a larger role then line visibility.

It's really up to what you have more confidence in. If your waters are very clear, I'd say try the leader.

fish the braid with/without a leader  and see what the results are on the lakes you fish.

I'd fish braid in those conditions. It still continues to amaze me how abrasion-resistant braid is to wood and vegetation.

For what it's worth, I don't use a leader.

I agree, try out the braid. I fish small waters myself and use the Power Pro. No leader. It's definitely a different feel, there's no stretch, but I love the stuff now. If you don't, you can always take it off your reel and put the fluro back on, right?

Power Pro would be a great option.  I would use a fluorocarbon leader w/ P-Line but I do have some friends that fish with just braid for everything.