Sign in to follow this  
KevO

Swimbait Rig

I am thinking about selling my crankbait rig (curado 200dpv and crucial crankbait series) and buying a swimbait setup. I have a shimano cardiff 200a reel, would that be a good reel or do I need a larger size like a 300/400? I was thinking about getting a crucial swimbait rod, but am open to suggestions. I am not looking for any really big swimbaits 8" at the most. The crucial rods come in 7'11" MH, H, and Extra H. What would you recommend for swimbaits less than 8"? I really don't want to spend more than $150 on the rod, because I still need to buy the baits.

I have heard good things about matt lures bluegill and baby bass. Who are some other good swimbait makers? Also what type of line should I use? Braid? Flouro?

Okuma swimbait rods are a great swimbait rod for the price.

If you're throwing 8" swimbaits, I'd definitely go with a 300 or 400. I use 25lb+ CXX , not sure how much a cardiff 200 would hold of 20-25lb line.

Cardiff 400 / Okuma rods are a pretty common starter rod out here in california. Tons of guys have them.

Okuma swimbait rods are a great swimbait rod for the price.

If you're throwing 8" swimbaits, I'd definitely go with a 300 or 400. I use 25lb+ CXX , not sure how much a cardiff 200 would hold of 20-25lb line.

Cardiff 400 / Okuma rods are a pretty common starter rod out here in california. Tons of guys have them.

+1.  That's what I started out with... well I still have it as one of my swimbait rods and it is a great combo.  You Might be able to get away with the 300, but if you can afford the extra 10 bucks, get the 400.  It's bigger, heavier, but it's worth it for the extra line.

I got the Okuma XH and Cardiff 400, and I love it. The Okuma casts my hudd, and lunker punker just fine. Its a great combo for the price.

I got the Okuma XH and Cardiff 400, and I love it. The Okuma casts my hudd, and lunker punker just fine. Its a great combo for the price.

Haha we think alike. Your swimbait arsenal is identical to mine, my swimbait rod is Okuma XH.. and I'm from the bay area.

+1 for the okuma/cardiff 400

Haha nice! How you liking the carrot stix?

Love it, I have the 6'9" Parabolic. My favorite baitcast rod I have, although I haven't been able to use the GLX i just got!