Sign in to follow this  
calandra

Quantum AC500PT Worm Gear Question

I am currently working on a buddy of mines Quantum AC500PT. It turns out he broke both the O/S Drive Gear and the O/S Pinion Gear upon which I have ordered and should have later today. This is his second Quantum AC500PT in which this has happened and from what I can tell it[ch8217]s due to lack of maintenance and the fact these gears are made from plastic instead of brass, in fact both reels are a couple years old, used almost dailey and he has not added a drop of oil let alone done a complete take down and clean.

My question is; since he takes such good care of his reels, LOL should I use grease on the worm shaft/line wind gear or should I just oil it. I have already totally cleaned the reel; um I should say scrubbed the heck out of it, and will re-oil the bearing and grease the gears, but was just wondering about that worm gear. Grease or oil?

Thanks in advance for any advice on this.

Ithese gears are made from plastic instead of brass,

My question is; since he takes such good care of his reels, LOL should I use grease on the worm shaft/line wind gear or should I just oil it. I have already totally cleaned the reel; um I should say scrubbed the heck out of it, and will re-oil the bearing and grease the gears, but was just wondering about that worm gear. Grease or oil?

Quantum's are not the only reels that have the worm shaft gear made of hard plastic and is a problem that is rarely mention and in much older reels

I put grease on the gear and oil on the shaft.

Good luck

Your friend is doing something not right, other than lack of lubrication

Thanks for the reply. I know allot of companies use plastic for these gears, I am just saying, since he is about the worst at taking care of his reels, something has to give at some point and in his case it[ch8217]s the plastic gears. I have a few older Bantams that used brass for these gears and wish more companies use such, but then I guess he would be breaking something else anyways.

As for what he's not doing right, consider a ton of gunk in the worm shaft causing it to jam on the cast. Either the paw gets whacked or the gears. The paw on this reel is also plastic, however it has not broke yet. When fishing the nastiest stuff on the lake, of which we do, you[ch8217]re bound to pick up a lot of stuff in the worm gear. I keep mine clean and have never had a problem, he does not.

I am not knocking the reel or the parts inside it; I am knocking the bonehead operating it. Whatever the cause, I just wanted an opinion on Grease or Oil for the worm shaft due to his lack of reel care.

The O/S Drive and O/S Pinion gears are the reels fail-safe gears. When the worm gear gunk's up and the pawl starts to jam, is a sign of a greased worm gear. When the line carriage finally does jam and won't move and the angler keeps cranking those 2 gears will strip their teeth.

Only one drop of oil for the worm gear and one drop of oil on the pawl when replaced back into the line carriage..

Just my .02¢ from the bench...

Tight Lines!!!!