Sign in to follow this  
HookedinNY

Rapala Line

I guess I will have to give it an unscientific review this spring. It caught my attention because it is pale green and black material braided together. Doug Hannon talks about using a marker to create hash marks on your mono to break up the look making it more "stealthy" as RW might say. I am thinking this line may have that idea built in.

Now for that unscientific review I mentioned.

This is only my second experience with braid. My first was with Fireline Crystal. Two things I didn't like about Fireline was how visible it was in the water and how it began to fray after some use.

I am now using Rapala Titanium stretch braid in 10# test on my spinning reel. It states that it has 5% stretch. I think what initially got my attention was the combination of green and black fibers. I had recently read Dr. Hannon's advice about using a marker to create hash marks on your line to break up the continuity making the line less visible to the fish. My thought was that this line was perfect in that regard.

I have fished with this line probably 10 times so far and it has performed very well for me. I have been fishing very clear ponds to this point. I have used it for every lure in my box including poppers, cranks, jerkbaits, spinnerbaits and soft plastics and have not had any issues. The green fiber is starting to fade just a little but there has been no fraying at all. Last evening I was dragging LMB through some pretty heavy weeds with no breakage.

I will continue to use it and buy more when the time comes. I found it at Gander Mtn. and though I can't remember the exact price I do remember thinking it was very reasonable compared to other braid lines.

I give Rapala Titanium stretch braid a humble thumbs up! ;)

Is this line more limp than fireline? IMO fireline is among the worst lines I have ever used. Power Pro and Sufix are very good. Have you tried either of these to compare with Rapala?

Hawgchaser:

Yes I would say it is more limp than Fireline. I have not tried any others yet but I have heard good things about the two you mention.