Sign in to follow this  
Muad Dib

bps extreme versus pro qualifier

im looking for a rod around 80-100. i see both the extreme and pro are on sale has anyone had both of these rods or do. and besides the modulus 60 mill. versus 70 mill. what are the differences. thanks

travis

i have had three pro (70 mod.) and hated them. i traded them all in for avids...

I have no idea why BUT I have heard very few good things about qualifiers and a lot of good things about the extremes. I have 10 or so extremes and think they are great. They aren't the lightest or the most sensitive BUT they are light enough and sensitive enough.

I have two Pro Qualifiers - 7' medium/fast. I like them well enough. They are sensitive and I use mine for shaky heads and such. They have nice alconite guides. But I think you really need to examine the rod before you buy it. I've seen quite a few on racks with flaws - cracked epoxy over the guide threads, deep gouges, bent guides, etc.

I got mine for $59 ($119 reg price) each on sale and for that price they are great. But I think you can do a lot better for their full price. This $119 rod doesn't compare in sensitivity or quality to my $100 Fenwick HMGs. In fact, my Johnny Morris Elite really isn't as sentsitive as my Fenwick HMGs, and that was a $170 rod (got on sale for $110).  When I have enough money, I'm going to replace my PQs with HMGs.

For the $100 go with the shimano in that price range they are light sensitive and have a lifetime warranty.  Also if it breaks you aren't limited to taking it back to just a BPS, but any place shimano is sold.

haha o man no positives. awesome...

There are a lot of extreme fans on this board. I am one of them. I just don't know about the pro qualifiers.

do the extremes hav ea good back bone. i have an old shakespear bass tour series rod that i thought was a Medium light but is actually a medium and feels like there isnt much of a back bone. im not sure if i want a medium or a medium heavy. what rod would u rather have than a 6'6 extreme medium actiion for plasitcs?

The extreme rods are tough and have plenty of backbone. I have caught several 10lbers, many 8-25 pound redfish, hundreds of 6-12lb hybrids, and a big cat or two with my extreme rods. Many of them on Med. action and many of them on MH. These rods have power.

These are great rods but many folks on this board are comparing them to $150+ rods. they aren't going to be as light as a Carrot Stick or as sensitive as a Loomis BUT they will catch just as many fish for a heck of a lot cheaper. I actually have several loomis rods(older models), All Stars, 2 Falcon Lowriders(actually one was stolen), 2 quantums, and now 3 American Rodsmiths. I have a house on the lake and fish atleast 3 days a week and often more. I use my extremes more than any of them. However, i am really loving my PTs and American Rodsmiths.

But anyway, you got plenty of options in the $100 range. The extremes, Quantum PT Energy, Fenwick, All Star, and some Falcons. they are all good and will put fish in the boat.

For an all around rod, i would go with the M. For big texas rigged worms and jigs a MH would be my preference. Buy the med now and in a paycheck or 2 pick up a MH. these rods go on sale all the time. I never buy an extreme at full price. :)

I have a couple extremes and they are actually the best rods I've used (I'm on a fairly tight budget so can't afford the really nice stuff).  However, they aren't anything special but they get the job done.  My MH worm rod has plenty of backbone.

That said, if my price range was 80-100 I'd buy a different rod like a Shimano or Fenwick.  I got my extremes as combos (citica reel extreme rod for $135 - $30 rebate was too good to pass up).  That was basically getting the rod for free!!

I have heard great things about Fenwick. However, I personally do NOT like the lower end Shimano rods. I am sure some people like them but I am not one.