Sign in to follow this  
Bassyak

Quantum Energy Rods

Anyone have any experience with the new model Quantum Energy rods?  They look nice for the price point ($70 plus shipping on eBay).

Are you talking about the new Energy PT split grip rods?

If so, they are fantastic and $70 is a good deal. I have 2 of these rods a 7'm and a 7'MH. I actually started a thread a few months ago about them bc I was so impressed. These rods are light, sinsitive, and have great action. In my last thread I stated that they were one of the more underrated rods.

The biggest difference between these and higher end models is the sensitivity. The PTs have the feel and action of a higher end rod but lack some of the sensitivity. Dont get me wrong, you can feel the bottom well and will have no problem detecting strikes.

Some people don't like a split grip. I have no problem with it and like the looks. My fishing partner will only fish with the latest and greatest Loomis rods. He gave my PTs a whirl and was very impressed. I don't see him switching anytime soon but he said that they fished just about as well as his rods. Now I am not saying they are equal to a GLX but you can buy 3 or 4 for the same price as one.

Overall these have been a great surprise. I actually bought them bc I hadn't tried any quantum gear in a longtime and wanted to see what they were all about. I am glad I did.

i have a 7' MH on order from a local taclke shop and i got it for $89.. he said they have better warrenties than all star rods do so i baught it in stead...

Hawgchaser do you like the split grip 7' MH rod? is it heavy? does it have the abnormally large blank size down just before it goes into the top of the cork grip?

i had origionally baught a 6'10 H rod but the more thought about it the more i didnt want the H so he just did a straight swap.... i wont have it till tuesday or so....

also will i gain/loose anything by going with the 7' MH over the 6'6" MH?

Thanks alot guys,

Alex

i have a 7' MH on order from a local taclke shop and i got it for $89.. he said they have better warrenties than all star rods do so i baught it in stead...

Hawgchaser do you like the split grip 7' MH rod? is it heavy? does it have the abnormally large blank size down just before it goes into the top of the cork grip?

i had origionally baught a 6'10 H rod but the more thought about it the more i didnt want the H so he just did a straight swap.... i wont have it till tuesday or so....

also will i gain/loose anything by going with the 7' MH over the 6'6" MH?

Thanks alot guys,

Alex

Your going to be very surprised at how light these rods are. I will also be surprised if you don't love the rod. The split grip is very comfortable and I assume contributes to the lightness of the rod.

I prefer 7' rods simply because they move more line on the hookset. When fishing deep, i feel I may get a little advantage by having a 7 over a 6'6" but both will work.  

Let me know how you like it. I have bought a lot of new gear this year and these rods have been the biggest surprise of them all.

I used to fish with Quantum rods exclusively back in the day.  They have always used Lamiglas blanks, and I thought they were on top of their game.

yeah i almost baught a 6'10 Heavy action rod(well i did got to the truck and decided i wanted a MH)... but wanted MH instead so he had to order me one and could only get 7'... i loved the feel of the rod... and always liked the looks of the split handle... and it fit very comfortably in my hand... cant wait to see what it feels liek when i put my energy PT reel on it!!!

i guess you goys can tell im Quantum through and through right? lol

also the guy at the local tackle shop said those rods are way better than the all star rods and have alot better warrenty...

and i know what you mean on the gear situation i started from ground zero, i had nothing.... lol

Alex

also if i like the rod i plan on buying a spinning one and putting an energy PTi-??? spinning reel on it... i love the finish on the energies...

my biggest shock is how well diawa's triforce rods are... lol i know cheap-o's but id say it matches the performance of my BPS bionic blade....

i still may buy the pt rod for my KVD signature series spinning reel that i love so much... lol

Alex