Sign in to follow this  
wickyman

Removing epoxy from grip area... Updated!

I have been working and working on my 7' shakespeare IM-7, but I cannot get the epoxy off, where the handle was.  It was attacked last winter, by a group of mice, or maybe a rat, and they destroyed the cork.  I am therefore in need of epoxy removal, without destroying the finish too much.  Any ideas on what I should do?

I also made a really nice set of new handles, but they are much larger on the I.D., than the pole...  Guess I am back to the drawing board!  lol  Trying to turn it into a nice split grip, with custom cork handles.  Luckily the cork is pretty easy to get a hold of, or I would be hurting!  It's free! lol  and it's FLOR grade!  :)  I am such a lucky bum!  haha

Try heating the epoxy with a blow dryer and scraping it off with a wooden Popsicle stick. Use "Goof Off" or similar solvent to get the residue off.

Ronnie

I will definitely try the blow dryer trick, today.  I hope that works, as I am beyond ideas.  Tried pretty much scraping it off with a razor blade, and got nowhere fast! lol  Just short of getting a new blank!  I might end up doing that anyhow...  Don't get me wrong, great pole, just too much work, I think!

As a rod builder myself I agree with Alpster about heating and scraping the old epoxy off. This is also one of the reasons I don't advocate re-mods on older rods. It has always been easier to start fresh.

also made a really nice set of new handles, but they are much larger on the I.D., than the pole...  Guess I am back to the drawing board!  lol  Trying to turn it into a nice split grip, with custom cork handles.  Luckily the cork is pretty easy to get a hold of, or I would be hurting!  It's free! lol  and it's FLOR grade!
One thing you can do to help with the over sized ID of the new grip would be to use dry wall fiberglass tape as an arbor when setting the new grip on. You are getting FLOR grade cork for free. You do know that it is very hard to find, that would be cork rings with NO pitting or fillers through out the ring (outside through to the inside). When it was readily available for sale it ran $3.00 to $4.00 a ring and you are getting it free, and using it on a re-mod...

Well OK good luck would like to see pics when done.. :)

Yeah, might not be flor, but it's older stuff from way back in the day, at least I would assume.  It looks clean, and clear of any pitting.  I will get pics of it shortly.  Just finished it.  It actually came out great!

As far as the heating process, the blow dryer did nothing.  Had it like 2-3 mm from the thing, and nothing!  Did that for about 15 minutes.  Got bored, and decided to just get out the mini blow torch and just tickle it with a flame until it heated up and changed the molecular structure.  It worked great, and then scraped a razor blade across the whole surface, and it cleaned up easily, and nicely.  

And for the cork, I found some hole filler cork, which basically slide into the larger diameter hole, and makes it smaller one.  Looks pretty nice!  I can't wait to get this thing in the water!  :)  Just by looking at it, you would think it was a little better rod, then it actually is...  It's just an old intrepid IM-7 by Shakespeare.  It was free!  :)  I love the number, free!

Here are the pictures, I will let them do the talking.  Also, my first attempt, not too bad, eh?

DSCF0040-1.jpg

DSCF0046-1.jpg

DSCF0048-1.jpg

DSCF0049.jpg

Nice job Wickyman! I'm glad it came out like you planned. It's also good that you have a source for free cork. That's awesome, but just for education purposes, here's a picture of a full wells grip made from "Flor Grade Cork". Notice it has no pits or grooves. This cork is rare and very expensive. Keep on keeping on!

fullwells.jpg

Ronnie

Yeah.  I went searching again, after someone else told me that it wasn't Flor grade, and found out that it was in fact SRC05, or something.  Either way, there isn't as much pitting, as it looks.  There are lines that look like they might be deep crevice, but they really aren't.  These things are pretty clean, as far as I can tell, but I am no expert with cork.  I just go by what some people tell me.  Of course, I should stop listening to people whom don't know what they are talking about, right? lol  That's why I love this forum!  Great knowledge base, and a lot of people who know there stuff.  :)  Thanks for the help guys!  I have the rod bug now, and I think it is dwelling in my brain, now!  :)

Has anyone, or does anyone, know of a tutorial on how to marbleize epoxy?  I would assume it's just as easy as using dyes?  I plan on doing a pink, white, and gray marble effect on my wife's ugly stick..., after I put cork split grips, and such...  lol  Thanks for any info!

Here ya go......How I Marble A Rod

:)

Thanks!  I appreciate all the comments and suggestions I get.  I want to add something more to the open area in between the split area, but not sure what to do with it...