Sign in to follow this  
.ghoti.

Cumara rod ?

Well, the $200 worth of BPS gift cards I had finally burned a hole in my pocket, and I got a Cumara 6'8" MXF rod. I had been trying to decide between that rod and the St Croix LT, with the same length and specs.

BPS made my choice for me by not have the St Croix in stock.

I've fished this thing about a dozen times now, with different reels. It's supposed to 6'8", and it is. It's supposed to be very light and sensitive, and it is indeed. It's supposed to be medium power and extra fast action, and it definitely is NOT.

The largest fish I've caught on this rod so far was a 2 1/2 pounder, and it barely put a bend in the rod.

It's rated for 8-14lb line, and will pop 12lb test line like it's 4.

I'ts rated for 1/4 - 1/2oz lures, and a 1/4oz lure will not come close to loading the rod during the cast. Both a 5" Senko and a Fat Ika will barely load the rod for casting. It takes a 10" power worm, 6/0 hook and a 5/8oz weight to load this rod for efficient casting.

This thing has a stiffer tip and as much, if not more, backbone than any of the medium-heavy power rods I have. In fact, the rod I own which matches the Cumara most closely in power and action is a 6'10" heavy power, moderate-fact action Setyr telescopic pitchin stick.

I know that's comparing apples to oranges. You really can't compare rod ratings from one company to another. Having admitted that, I have an Avid 6"8" MXF, and the Cumara is no match for it at all.

So, what I wanted, and thought I was getting, was a medium power, extra fast action rod; something I could use for tubes, Super Flukes, and light weight T-rigs. What I got, at least to my hands, is a heavy power, not so fast action rod, that I really have no use for.

Did I get one that was mis-labeled? Or are all the Cumara series rods like this?

I wish I had waited for the St Croix.

Cheers,

GK

You need the CUC68M.

Another name change Burley ?

Well, the $200 worth of BPS gift cards I had finally burned a hole in my pocket, and I got a Cumara 6'8" MXF rod. I had been trying to decide between that rod and the St Croix LT, with the same length and specs.

BPS made my choice for me by not have the St Croix in stock.

I've fished this thing about a dozen times now, with different reels. It's supposed to 6'8", and it is. It's supposed to be very light and sensitive, and it is indeed. It's supposed to be medium power and extra fast action, and it definitely is NOT.

The largest fish I've caught on this rod so far was a 2 1/2 pounder, and it barely put a bend in the rod.

It's rated for 8-14lb line, and will pop 12lb test line like it's 4.

I'ts rated for 1/4 - 1/2oz lures, and a 1/4oz lure will not come close to loading the rod during the cast. Both a 5" Senko and a Fat Ika will barely load the rod for casting. It takes a 10" power worm, 6/0 hook and a 5/8oz weight to load this rod for efficient casting.

This thing has a stiffer tip and as much, if not more, backbone than any of the medium-heavy power rods I have. In fact, the rod I own which matches the Cumara most closely in power and action is a 6'10" heavy power, moderate-fact action Setyr telescopic pitchin stick.

I know that's comparing apples to oranges. You really can't compare rod ratings from one company to another. Having admitted that, I have an Avid 6"8" MXF, and the Cumara is no match for it at all.

So, what I wanted, and thought I was getting, was a medium power, extra fast action rod; something I could use for tubes, Super Flukes, and light weight T-rigs. What I got, at least to my hands, is a heavy power, not so fast action rod, that I really have no use for.

Did I get one that was mis-labeled? Or are all the Cumara series rods like this?

I wish I had waited for the St Croix.

Cheers,

GK

I'd defintiely return it or you can send it to me. ;D

On the other side of the coin, the rod model you have was designed for jigs. I think the rod that would have been a bit more suitable would have been the CUC68M.

I appreciate your response, however. Great input. In your opinion, what do you think its action is if not extra fast? Fast? Moderately fast? Thanks.

Addendum: Oops! I see now that Burley already made that recommendation. :-[

Hey islandbass, your reply is timely. I was out last night, and was throwing a 1/2oz Evo jig with a Kreature trailer on the rod. It was a good match. I'm going to try that out for a few outings before I go back to BPS. I'll swap reels, go up one line size, and try it a few times.

As far as the not so extra fast action goes, I compared it to couple of different rods by tying off to my Fats bag ( it weighs about 182 pounds) and flexing the rods to see where they bent. The closest match was my Setyr 6'10" heavy power telescopic rod, that has a moderate-fast action. The bend under the same load was almost identical. I had one in each hand, doing a side by side comparison. When I compared the Cumara to the Avid 6'8" MXF, they were totally different.

Hey Burley, (or whatever your name is today ;D), is the CUC68M the model you have? I seem to remember that you were a bit underwhelmed by this rod. Or, do I have you confused with somebody else. I know somebody said they wanted to love the rod, but could not.

Cheers,

GK

Hey Burley, (or whatever your name is today ;D), is the CUC68M the model you have? I seem to remember that you were a bit underwhelmed by this rod. Or, do I have you confused with somebody else. I know somebody said they wanted to love the rod, but could not.

Cheers,

GK

I had a CUC72MH.  It was a little on the soft side for my liking.  It wasn't a bad rod, just didn't blow me away.  I wanted to love it and hate the Carrot.